Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

76 GL1000

Wife followed me home the other night after I got stuck in rain. She told me when I got home,. I did not have a running light in the back.

I went out today to trouble shoot, and had no rear lighting at all in the housing.

I swapped the turn light, and it would make the taillight (both running and brake) flash when hooked to the turn circuit. Brake circuit hooked to turn, and nothing.

I checked the power, and it was kinda random, sometimes, 8 volts, and would jump to 12 when the brake switch was activated.

Tried a reserve lighting module from my parts bike, no change (may not be good anyway).

Put it all back together, and let bike run to charge battery.

After about 10 minutes of running while I was standing there the running light came on!

Still no brake light. If I pull the bulb or wires, the gauge indicator stops showing brake light when activated. If I hook everything up, the dash light works a it should (and used to), but no actual brake light.

pull wire, no dash light.

Getting frustrated as I planned my 1st full day out with the bike tomorrow.

JimD

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Check all the grounds at the light assembly end, and clean up the bulb contacts.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

I agree check the grounds, additionally check the connection that is on top of the fender (under the seat) and clean the contacts of the fuse box, If that fails, start at the the light and work backwards to the battery and test each connection and switch in the circuit.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Doesn't sound like the reserve unit is the problem but you can bypass the unit by jumpering across 2/9 3/8 and 4/5 to test.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bypassing the reserve lighting unti got it working. I re-tried the spare from my parts bike and it is working now. Thanks for the direction!
JImD

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bypassing the reserve lighting unti got it working. I re-tried the spare from my parts bike and it is working now. Thanks for the direction!
JImD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.