Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1000 Camshaft alignment marks

716 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  The New Owner 
#1 ·
Maybe a dumb question but....is there any other alignment mark on the camshafts and correspond place on the engine block instead of the arrow on the pulley and mark on the heat shield? I am asking this because on the right hand side heat shield on my GL1000 someone was welding/grinding something, probably it was broken so PO was fixing it, resulting in the factory mark being ground away, so there is a line scratched by hand instead of the factory mark. I was considering that with thrust and used that mark uncritically but now I started considering the option what if it was not made accurately so it could be say a tooth off? Anyway, is there any other reference to check it up? On some picture in the workshop manual it looks like the mark is in extension to one of the reinforcement ribs on the RH shield (the one that points out), in my case the line I have is also in extension to that rib but I don't know is that just a coincidence or a reference indeed. I did not find any marks on the camshaft itself, maybe I did not look close enough....Thanks!

#2 ·
There are no timing marks on the camshaft only the pulley.
The right mark should be a mirror image of the left but as a double check you can use a long straight edge centred on both camshaft centre bolts and it should lineup the same on both camshaft marks and cover marks.

#3 ·
Will try that way, thanks. Very poor factory solution by the way. They should have doted the camshafts/engine block directly, not only put arrows to the heat shields which are separable and not reliable enough. Thanks again....

Alex

#4 ·
Very poor factory solution by the way. They should have doted the camshafts/engine block directly, not only put arrows to the heat shields which are separable and not reliable enough. Thanks again....

Alex
Hum, you must have x-ray vision as I can't see my camshafts with the pulleys in place.:?
BTW: If the rear shield was crocked enough to get the belts even one tooth off the front shield wouldn't fit.

#6 ·
If there were any backup marks on the camshaft/cylinder head it could be placed on a visible place like somewhere near the bearing journal so it would be visible even without X rays when you remove the valve covers, right?
Another thing, I did not say that my shields are disturbed, they are perfectly in place but the factory mark on the RH side shield was ground off and line scratched by hand instead of it, probably by the PO.

@DriverRider

OK the PO did a stupid thing by grinding off the mark, but my point was that relying on the separable and imprecise parts such as heat shields as the ONLY reference for such important thing like timing position is just not wise. Most engines I've dealt with had reference marks (dots) directly on the camshaft (ditto for the crankshaft TDC position) and cylinder head or block, no matter if they had more marks on covers, shields etc. visible from outside for tuning up chains or belts, ignition etc. But if you are in doubt for any reason you could always make sure by checking the backup marks on the solid parts that cannot be disturbed. I found this a good practice of a serious manufacturers, where Honda sure belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.