Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i ride a 1979 gl1000 and am have trouble with it back firing out of the carburetor. I was wondering how to check the points. It has been sit outside for 4 years and it trys to start but it idle up. I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb but still nothing. thanks dbrown23

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If it sat for 4 years without being started, with gas in it, you have a lot of work ahead of you. If the starter turns it over good, I would immediately change the oil, then do a compression check on all 4 cylinders to see what you have. This will tell you if the engine is in decent shape, or has serious internal problems. If the compression checks out, then you will need to completely remove the carbs, disassemble, and thoroughly clean them. While you have everything apart, look for rotter hoses, manifolds, anything that could cause a vacuum leak. You may also need to remove and clean the tank, and that is a fairly major job. Check first to see if it is rusty, and even worth trying to save. Also remove and clean the petcock, and replace any rotted hoses. In short, the entire fuel system needs to be spotlessly clean, with no vacuum leaks.

Setting the points is easy. I would first remove and clean, or just replace them. Reinstall them, and with them open as far as they go (you can turn the engine and watch them open and close, there is a high point on the cam that opens them) Set the gap with a flat feeler gauge according to the specifications in the manual. Now get new spark plugs, and make sure you have a good spark at each one of them (if not it gets more complicated, but hopefully you will) Install the spark plugs, and with a clean tank with clean fresh fuel in it, try starting it. It should start. It may not run perfectly, you may need to make a few adjustments once it is running, especially to the carbs, and possibly the points.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I cleaned the carbs and the points and get it running now it just wants to idle about 3,000 rpms and i think i need to sync the carbs so i can get it to idle right.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

no,,,, you need to build the carbs

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

yea i put new jets and floats and needle and seats in it and float bowls. all new gaskets and o-rings. new cables and fuel pump and cleaned the fuel tank out.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ok, if you built them then you need to sync then and turn the idle speed down to about 900 or thereabouts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Need to get the idle down first.

Sounds like a sticking vacuum piston, or other carb. issue. Does it sound like its running on 2 or 3 when you bring it down, or does it just not want to come down?

Depending on how bad they were its not uncommon to need to pull them apart more than one time (ask how I know this). Don't assume all is well in the carb.s, pull them back off and look inside them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
ok, if you built them then you need to sync then and turn the idle speed down to about 900 or thereabouts
Absolutely. You can not do any effectivediagnostics until you do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.