Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, I had some problems with purchasing the carb parts for my bike so I finally manage to get the NAPCO kits, I should receive them soon. My bike is GL1000supposed to be made in'78th (that's what the papers say), but the instruments and some other detailspoint that it is the earlier model (probably '77th). However there is no place to attach kick start (at least I can't find it) so that is confusing as well. Finally, the carbs are "755 B" model which are not specified in any manual that I checked, but "755 A" is specified to be at '75th GL1000. So somebody maybe changed the carbs before. However, the kitswhich I should get are reffered to fit '76th age. I actually need only float valves and bowl gaskets which should be the same for all ages, but now as I will get the jets as well I thought to change them too. So I know there are a slight differences between the orifice sizes over the ages, but are the jets equal from the outside (can they be fitted in the carb of different age)? I know the slow air jets are pressed in at later models butin my casethey areremovableso that's ok.

To make the things clear, my carbs are probably for '75th age and the kits are for '76th age.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Any ideas if I should change the jets as well (if possible) or just to change the float valves and gaskets? I'm really curious about this, any ideas....Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Not all jets are created equal,so keep your stock one's.
I would clean them up real good.

I've had my share of aftermarket jets that didn't meet factory specs.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

The New Owner wrote:
Hi, I had some problems with purchasing the carb parts for my bike so I finally manage to get the NAPCO kits, I should receive them soon. My bike is GL1000supposed to be made in'78th (that's what the papers say), but the instruments and some other detailspoint that it is the earlier model (probably '77th). However there is no place to attach kick start (at least I can't find it) so that is confusing as well. Finally, the carbs are "755 B" model which are not specified in any manual that I checked, but "755 A" is specified to be at '75th GL1000. So somebody maybe changed the carbs before. However, the kitswhich I should get are reffered to fit '76th age. I actually need only float valves and bowl gaskets which should be the same for all ages, but now as I will get the jets as well I thought to change them too. So I know there are a slight differences between the orifice sizes over the ages, but are the jets equal from the outside (can they be fitted in the carb of different age)? I know the slow air jets are pressed in at later models butin my casethey areremovableso that's ok.

To make the things clear, my carbs are probably for '75th age and the kits are for '76th age.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!
Most decent dealerships have a great big tray of jets. For the most part, jets are pretty much the same for brands of carbs (with some exceptions), Keihin jets are Keihin jets, mikuni jets are mikuni jets.....etc. The easiest way to make sure you get the right jets is to take one of your pilots and mains into the dealership, pull up a stool at the counter, and match it to something in the jet tray. The jets will have a number stamped on them for the orifice size.......other than that you want to match the length and thread, ie you don't want to replace a long pilot with a short pilot.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks everyone for the answers!As my bike is most probably '77th model, even the serial numbersclaims that (begin with 3), I will try toaccord the jet sizes with the ones in the '77thcarbs, by the workshop manual. I will try to do that by combining the stock jets with the new ones, where possible. As for the aftermarketfloat valves I am aware of them often being bad, but I couldn't get the OEM ones over here (therewas a way but it would costbadly too much). So I just hope that this new ones will work....but will see when they arrive.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.