Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there! I had a carb caused problems on my bike (bad float valves, gas in engine oil) so stoped ridding the bike when discovered that until it's repaired. As I had never messed with multiple carbs before, first I thought that I'll go to the Hondaworkshop to let them fix the carbs, but when they told how much would that cost and when I re-contemplated everything then I made a conclusion that I'll do it myself, I hope I am capable enough. So, I plan toget the carbs apart, clean upeverything, change the O-rings and gaskets and readjust everything.

I found the list of all 28 O-rings which I'll need. Over here I can't find exact dimensions, but they are pretty close, I hope enough, so let's say that's solved.

As for the bowl gaskets, there is a gasket manufacturer over here who makes every kind of gaskets by example, so I hope the gaskets are solved as well.

Now, my main question is: is it necessairly to fit the new float valves in the carbs or I can re-use the old ones if they are not damaged?

And the other question, do I have to mess with the air cut off valve or just to leave alone?

Any other advices?

Thanks a lot!

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

If you had a bad float valve in the first place you should change them. I'm not familiar with the GL1000 air cut off so I can't say about it. At least it's just 1 instead of 4 like an 1100.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didn't express myself correct, I don't know if thefloat valves arebad(damaged) ornot. All I know is that I had a lot of gasoline in the engine oil and on the plenum bottom, but I don't know if it was caused bydamaged valves, badvalve o-rings or misadjusted floats. So, when I remove the carbs, if it appears that the floatvalves are not damaged, must change them anyway?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Floats can be straightened out if not damaged as for the air cutoff replace it go to the link I pasted here. Randall sells a master rebuild kit for you carbs with everything you need plus there is tech information on rebuilding your carbs that will help you with a lot of your questions.

http://www.randakks.com/

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

if there was fuel in the bottom of the plenum the plenum gasket may be the only problem.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK, I would like it to be as simple as plenum gasket!

As for Randakk, I know about his carb kit but the problem is that it is very difficult for me to buy anything from abroad. We have some law over here in Serbia that makes any payment outside the country very complicated (no PayPal avaliable, must have the official seller company'sconfirmation etc.) so I must rely on the local dealers. And that's the problem with air cut off valve - can't find the parts for it over here!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Float Valves can be a real pain in the ass...and only use OEM. As to all your o rings..be careful if they are not made out or viton or second choice nitrile you may have problems regular rubber won't work for long.

Email randall I bet he could work something out for you.

http://www.randakks.com/Carb Parts.htm#9

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
randakks

randakks

randakks

there is also a pictoral "how to" on octanes corner on the http://www.nakedgoldwings.com site... plus lots of 1000 owners there as well
Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Everything you need to know is in both sites.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

I inherited my 78 gl1000 from my Dad last year. Even though he thought it was in great condition, the carbs had not been cleaned in probably 10 years. Anyway, before you buy anything perhaps you could dismantle carbs and pay close attention to O-rings etc that have become hard. They should be replaced. You can clean up all the jets and the float valves with carb cleaner then slip it back together and hang a jug of 1/2 gal gas about 3 meters/ft above the carbs, connect to carbs and check for leaks inside plenum and outside of body. Be very careful removing the floats and float pins. Follow the directions from Randaks site for setting floats. If you reroute the throttle cables outside the frame from then on, you can easily remove the carbs in the future. If you are really going to learn, it may take a couple tries.. BTW, if I was rich, I would send you the new parts.. Good luck and WELCOME!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks a lot all of you for the great info. I'll check the pictures onnakedgoldwings.com as soon as Whiskerfish sends me the activation e-mail for their forum (Iregistered there butnow must wait for the confirmation from the administrator-Whiskerfish). Today I removed the carb assembly out of the bikeso now I am about to tear them apart and start working. Bought all the orings, made of nytril (NBR). Gaskets next. Will follow your advices. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Alex, do me (and yourself) a favor.

Give the following article a read. Alot of good info in it that will help you out.

Resurrecting An Old Goldwing

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Mike, I've just read your article. I must say sometimes I would like to live in USA. Direct Honda Parts dealers, Randakk's, carb rebuilders that you mentioned,....andmany more avaliable at any time for reasonable prices. However, none of it avaliableover here in Serbia (nor in whole ex-Yugoslavia I think). To buy anything from abroad? Betterforget it. No PayPal avaliable, bank transfers only with official confirmation by seller's company, then custom taxes,....so believe me, the only resonable solution for us over here is to stick to the local dealers and be very ingenuine when trying to provide the parts (for example, I bought all the orings in a hydraulics equipment shop). Original parts can be obtained by a few Jap bikes dealers, but at huge prices - I paid 100 Euros for the timing belts.

On the other side, searching for the parts can be a fun sometimes....:dude:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

INPUT:

TodayI striped the carbs apart.

First thing that confused me is that the primary and secondary air jets were interchanged, if I saw well. You know the kidney shaped hole under the metal plate and gasket where the air jets are settled? When you turn the carb's body that wayso that hole comes on top, facing to you(just like on the picture in manual) then, by the manual, the primary air jet is on left hand while the secondary air jet is on right hand side. Also by the manual, the primary air jet is #120 while the secondary one is #60.

However, in my case ON ALL 4 CARBS the smaller (60) jet was on left while the larger (120) jet was on right hand side. So, who was wrong - PO, myself or the manual?!

And now comes the nightmare - you know there is something kinda jet inserted in a hole near the pilot screw's inner end? I don't have a digital camera so I borrowed the picture from Nakedgoldwings site.I marked it by the black arrow (the other marks were already on the picture, nothing to do with my case). Well, only two of my carbs had this jet! On the other two there is just a hole on that place. I tried to find this part in the parts manual but with no success. Anyone knowsif this jet is sold as a part and if so which is its part number?I can try with local dealer over here but I must have a part number for him. Or if it's not sold....any other solution?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Alex,
Careful with the jets. "Claymer", I believe, has them backwards. Check the Shop manual to make sure. I may be wrong but I remember something about about that. I never did figure them out. I just put them back in the way they were. "Randakks" mentions something about it, I believe.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I checked the clymer as well as the parts manual, really couldn't find it in there! Today I found a man over here who makes different kinds of jets by order, so next week I'll go there to see if he could make it. I also mailed Randakk, but even if he has those jets, the shipping to Serbia and payment method could be complicated. Well, some solution will work I hope.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

The part indicated is the slow air jet. Its a simple push-in jet but not available from Honda as a separate number.

They are available here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-GL1000-GOLDWING-SLOW-JETS-1975-1979_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ35597QQihZ001QQitemZ110353673081

If you have someone who can make jets this should be easy job for him.

To remove a jet from one of the other carbs as a sample it has to be pushed upwards from inside the venturi. Be careful not to bend the throttle shaft!

Refit with the small hole in the side facing out of the carb.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks a lot! In Monday I'll try with the guy who makes jets over here, if he can't help then your ebay thread will be the solution I hope.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

Old Fogey wrote:
The part indicated is the slow air jet. Its a simple push-in jet but not available from Honda as a separate number.
Sorry, I meant the slow running jet. It's a fuel jet not air.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

INPUT:

I founda man who made those jets for me, so it's solved. I also boughta can of carb cleaner and tomorrow I'll get the compressor so the carbs will be cleaned up throughout. All the new o-rings are here as well.

However, I do have one more question. You know about the "L" shaped piece of tube on the carbwhere the vacuum hose is connected (where the slow air jet is screwed in)? I marked it with the red arrow on the picture. Should it be movable or not? On two of my carbs it is tight fixed and can't bemoved at all, while on the other two it can be rotated a little. Is it normal or something is bad?

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.