Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 78' GL1000 and have had to do a lot of maintanace on it so far and the bike looks to be worth the rebuild. We have a mercury stick but the 4 carbs are still having tons of problems, we have done some rebuilding on them and cleaned them fully. We get the carbs synced and it runs great but then the bike dies so we have been going through the elcetrical and repairing/replacing wires and have new coils and wires from accell. So we have assumed the carbs need a full maintanance rebuild from a professional so i am thinking of going single carburetor so in the future i can rebuild it myself with my limited bike knowledge and mechanics (who i dont have to fork tons of cash to a.k.a harley riders). I wanted to know what you guys thought about this site who makes a VW into an airplane setup but it looks promising with some modifications. I e-mailed them for measurements but they couldnt give em to me but they did confirm the offset intake pikes so it fit with the boxter style setup .
What do you guys think?

http://www.greatplainsas.com/scapkgred.html

scroll to the bottom of page for $350 dual throat weber setup.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I got a 77 gl1000, I'm in the same place you are, I've heard good and bad things about the conversion, I can build the manifold with no problem, I just don't know what carb to use, The only carb I have laying around is a holley double pumper from my 72 buick skylark, I think that's a little over kill, So I'm trying to find a cheap small carb, I just don't know What to look for.

The pic on the website looks like it could work, But what size engine is it for, They don't give you a whole lot of info,

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Borum

I think you would be better off working the kinks out on your stock carbs. I have one of those engines vw 2180cc in my home built KR2. Steve Bennet at Great Plains sells several different carbs but I don't think they would work very well on the bike.I'll look for Randell Reddick's web site ar least I think that is the guys name and get back to you he has alot of information dealing with the older wings.

Norman

·
Joe in Modesto
29 Posts
imported post

A few weeks ago I went on a poker run in northern California. One of he guys there had a GL1000 that he converted the carbs on. he said that he made the manifold himself and used a Weber carb. he also had 3 of the biggest air horns I have ever seen except on a train, and man were they loud. he said that the bike is on a web site, but I failed to get the address. Sorry I don't have more information. Oh, yeah,he was (I think a member of GWTA, at least they sponsored the run).
Joe

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the info im gonna try and find that bike with the weber and see what i can do =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.