Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I cannot get my bike on the centerstand. I read so much about needing to use it that i am wondering if the one i have has been altered. where it points up(alongside the exaust pipe), i have, maybe, a four inch vertical section to stand on. This is DEFINATELY not enough leverage to raise the bike. I even tried raising the bike with air in the shocks maxxed first, after reading that in here somewhere, no success.

I need to be able to use the centerstand, obviously. Does an extention exist. Is it likely that the original has been altered? I am a small guy (5'11" - 170), but i do understand the value of leverage:cool:, and with my current set-up i have NONE!!!!

HELP, PLEASE.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Check the mount points, they can weaken (from rust or age) and sink up, making the stand feel short. I seen this happen on some GL1200s.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem on my GL1000 as well. I can't getthebike on the center stand alone, literally no way. I always need somebody to assist. I think that the main problem (at least in my case) ispoorly positioned center stand, so when you step on it you just don't have a good body balance to pull the bike backwards. I weigh 100kg but no chance for me to use the center stand alone, still my girlfriend is enough to grab the rear bar (behind the seat) and to pull the bike right backwards and it gets on the stand right away!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Your rear shocks/springs may be shot IE too compressed and so you loose an inch or so and that makes it hard to use the center stand...try rolling the rear wheel up on a thin peice of wood like 3/4 ply and try it then if it works think short shocks!!! solutions new /rebuild shocks or keep a piece of wood in your garge to roll the rear wheel up on to OR but this one makes it a little unstable IE easier to pull over...a 1/2 piece of wood under the side stand will put your bike almost straight up too....just be sure no kids or dogs pull on the open side as it can come right over on them..experiment and you'll get the idea.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Lubricate the pivot points . Standing on the left side of bike ,push the center stand down with right foot . When it touches the ground rock the bike a little side to side to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground ( bike not leaning ) . Firmly push ( or stand ) on the lever with right foot , while lifting the hand hold (beside the seat )with right hand and pulling on the handlebar with left .

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Lubricate the pivot points . Standing on the left side of bike ,push the center stand down with right foot . When it touches the ground rock the bike a little side to side to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground ( bike not leaning ) . Firmly push ( or stand ) on the lever with right foot , while lifting the hand hold (beside the seat )with right hand and pulling on the handlebar with left .
thanks but, stand moves quite freely, and all the rest of your suggestion is standard application on any bike. I imagine this thing is just a beast to raise already with a poorly designed/placed centerstand:waving:

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

RB wrote:
Your rear shocks/springs may be shot IE too compressed and so you loose an inch or so and that makes it hard to use the center stand...try rolling the rear wheel up on a thin peice of wood like 3/4 ply and try it then if it works think short shocks!!! solutions new /rebuild shocks or keep a piece of wood in your garge to roll the rear wheel up on to OR but this one makes it a little unstable IE easier to pull over...a 1/2 piece of wood under the side stand will put your bike almost straight up too....just be sure no kids or dogs pull on the open side as it can come right over on them..experiment and you'll get the idea.
shocks don't LOOK bad at all:cool:. I LIKE the idea of the wood, I am going out to try that very soon. I thouhgt of the piece under the sidestand, tooo risky.

GARAGE!!!???:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

2Dahorizon wrote:
I am a small guy (5'11" - 170), but i do understand the value of leverage:cool:, and with my current set-up i have NONE!!!!

HELP, PLEASE.
At that weight you should not be having any issues getting that bike up. I was able to get an '80 Interstate up at 110lb @ age 15 without assistance routinely. I have put up a 1000 before and it was not anymore difficult than my 1100 so I don't believe that it is a design issue.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I have a friend with a gl 1000 that could not get it up on the center stand either. Do you have it in neutral? My friend was trying to put his on the center stand while it was in gear. :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
I have a friend with a gl 1000 that could not get it up on the center stand either. Do you have it in neutral? My friend was trying to put his on the center stand while it was in gear. :)
I definately put the bike in neutral. it just seems that the stand can't get low enough to reach the tipping point necessary to allow the bike to travel over it's pivot point.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

2Dahorizon wrote:
. I even tried raising the bike with air in the shocks maxxed first, after reading that in here somewhere, no success.
HELP, PLEASE.
I don't remember any of the 1000 coming with air shocks. So you probably have some after market shocks that are shorter than stock. Do you still have a 17 inch rear wheel? Changing to a 16 inch was popular back in the day, and that would also make it harder to get it onto the center stand.

Walter

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Walter Manley wrote:
2Dahorizon wrote:
. I even tried raising the bike with air in the shocks maxxed first, after reading that in here somewhere, no success.
HELP, PLEASE.
I don't remember any of the 1000 coming with air shocks. So you probably have some after market shocks that are shorter than stock. Do you still have a 17 inch rear wheel? Changing to a 16 inch was popular back in the day, and that would also make it harder to get it onto the center stand.

Walter
INTERESTING, I'll check

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I'm 6'1", 162 lbs. I put my left foot on the center stand and lift with both hands on the seat rail. It's not easy but I can get it on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

RB wrote:
Tried the wood, piece was probably closer to 5/8ths, went into a level lot, laid down piece, rode onto it, got off and tried to lift pul the bike onto centerstand, no go:baffled:.

I guess next is to do some measuring:byebye:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

One thing I have noticed about many new wing riders is that when they try to put bike on center stand they have it leaning towards them for the fear of it falling away from them and onto its side. The bike must be straight up and down and not leaning towards you in the least or it will not go up.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

I use a small piece of 2" X 6" wood between my foot and the stand.

With just shoes on I can't get it on the center stand.

I'm 5'6" so the extra 1 1/2" must help get me into my thigh power range and makes a better contact point.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

2Dahorizon wrote:
RB wrote:
Tried the wood, piece was probably closer to 5/8ths, went into a level lot, laid down piece, rode onto it, got off and tried to lift pul the bike onto centerstand, no go:baffled:.
Try a piece of 2x4 or 2x6

Walter

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Hoosierman wrote:
I use a small piece of 2" X 6" wood between my foot and the stand.

With just shoes on I can't get it on the center stand.

I'm 5'6" so the extra 1 1/2" must help get me into my thigh power range and makes a better contact point.
Interesting:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I stand about 6 ft even with my shoes on and weigh in at wayyyyyyyyyy too much...:cheeky1::cheeky1:...OK OK I weigh 250 lbs of useless fat.....First time I tried putting my on the center stand, I got on the center stand with my right foot just like putting my old GS-1000 on the center stand no problems ever with that GS-1000, left hand on the handle bar, and right hand on saddlebag crash bar....Pushed down with all 250 lbs, pulled back and lifted up on crash bar......Sure was glad my wife was at home to help get it off of me....It rocked over to the left pinning me between it and a filing cabinet that has all my pieces parts and assemblies in it......My wife was able to get me just enough slack the where I could get it upright and the side stand back down.....

I know my rear shocks are shot and the rear tire does have a leak in it, because after we did get it upon the center stand, I did the work I was doing to it such as changing the oil with my new dipstick and doing a tune up on it.....I had my wife there to help watch out for me.....rolled the Wing foward and when the back tire and those flat air shocks hit the bottom, guess where it went ????? Yup over on its right side, pulling me off my feet..:shock:...I still had the sidestand down, I forgot to put it up....

Going to get me some 2x6 blocks cut to help me out......

Claude.......

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

redbaron wrote:
I stand about 6 ft even with my shoes on and weigh in at wayyyyyyyyyy too much...:cheeky1::cheeky1:...OK OK I weigh 250 lbs of useless fat.....First time I tried putting my on the center stand, I got on the center stand with my right foot just like putting my old GS-1000 on the center stand no problems ever with that GS-1000, left hand on the handle bar, and right hand on saddlebag crash bar....Pushed down with all 250 lbs, pulled back and lifted up on crash bar......Sure was glad my wife was at home to help get it off of me....It rocked over to the left pinning me between it and a filing cabinet that has all my pieces parts and assemblies in it......My wife was able to get me just enough slack the where I could get it upright and the side stand back down.....

I know my rear shocks are shot and the rear tire does have a leak in it, because after we did get it upon the center stand, I did the work I was doing to it such as changing the oil with my new dipstick and doing a tune up on it.....I had my wife there to help watch out for me.....rolled the Wing foward and when the back tire and those flat air shocks hit the bottom, guess where it went ????? Yup over on its right side, pulling me off my feet..:shock:...I still had the sidestand down, I forgot to put it up....

Going to get me some 2x6 blocks cut to help me out......

Claude.......
:DOUCH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.