Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have hadmy bike running a couple of timesutilizing the recommendations of starting a bike after a long storage/shutdown. The clutch felt ok, maybe a little loose, and it would go into 1st without much effort but everytime I tried to go into 2nd nothing but grinding of the gears. I thought I would try a complete clutch adjustment so I backed off/in both ends of the cable, took off the clutch cover, and loosened the set nut on the clutch lifter. I loosed the nut ok but I can't budge the set screw in or out on the clutch. Should the set screw be really tight, hard to turn, or maybe even frozen? I don't want to force the screw plusthe slotis already worn somewhat.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

i just adjusted the clutch on my 76 and after loosening the nut i turned set screw in until i felt resistance and then backed it back out 1/2 a turn and tightend the nut again. the set screw was hard to get to so i used an offset screw driver for that. as far as set screw not moving at all i dont know. someone will probably know though. good luck.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I actually took the muffler off because I had just fit it on. Even though I'm getting on the screw straight on almost, it didn't seem to want to budge at all.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

screw the adjuster all the way in on clutch lever and turn lower cable adjuster clockwise to loosen cable. Maybee cable isnt loose enough to turn the clutch set screw.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Airman, the adjuster on the clutch lever and the lower one are all the way in. The lifter seems plenty loose. I'll go putz with it this evening. As you know it is in kind of a hard spot to get to and I don't want to bugger up the screw head. I'm wondering now if it is already screwed so far in it is to tight so I may try and back it out some to see what I find.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

thats possible if you werent the last person to adjust the clutch. to get to the set screw easier i put the bike on center stand and removed the drain hoses out of the way .

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I found like I thought. Somebody had either screwed the screw in tight or when they tightened the nut it happened. I've fixed that now, I need to finish the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

move lower adjuster until there is about 5/8 freeplay at the lever and tighten the nut then adjust the lever end until there is between 1/4 to 5/8 inch freeplay and you should be good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.