Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1978 GL1000 that has an electronic ignition (done years ago before I got the bike).

Yesterday I went out for a ride and about 6 miles away from home the bike DIED. It would still crank, but not turn over at all.

After the bike had cooled down, it would start and run just fine again. I have been able to repeat this problem 3 times, and it is consistent that the engine dies just after the engine warms up (about 6 minutes after starting up). I have pulled the plugs on one side and confirm there is no spark from either coil when this happens.

I am guessing possibly a problem with the electronic ignition module, but can anyone give me troubleshooting advice on how to confirm the problem?

I have an analog and digital meter. I just don't know exactly where to start.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
When it quits running, remove the point cover, then apply some "cold air" to the electronic module. Does it start back up.....???

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Maybe this will help if it is a Dyna ignition which is the most popular. Logic says it would be the module, not the pickup coils because it is unlikely both pickups would fail simultaneously.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have heard of problems with dyna, unlikely both coils would fail at same time, possible that ballast resistor might

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
I had a similar situation on an 1100. Turned out the coils were bad, the plastic casings had tiny cracks that opened up when it got warm and spark would "leak" out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts