Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 GL1000, and there is fuel leaking out of the weep hole....VERY slowly, Due to my research, I have deemed that it is going bad. I am looking to replace this with an electric fuel pump. I also learned in my research I need about a 2.5 PSI pump...On all the pumps I am finding, GPH is around 20 or 30, I calculated that the stock pump is supposed to do about 7 GPH...I have heard of several people using this pump for their 1000's...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-12S-Micro-Electric/dp/B000BWCERY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362245171&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+gasket+fuel+pump[/ame]

1) the GPH is really high on it, I guess that doesnt matter because the floats will cut off the extra fuel? Im just not sure if that high of GPH is harmful to my carb rack
2) There are some bad reviews on it, but it seems to be the most popular replacement. Do you guys have a suggestion for a better one?
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
211 Posts
advance auto or autozone has 12v fuel pums rated @ 6 gpm, bought one for my gas genset in my camper. worked good.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
fuel pump

at that price you could afford two,one to use and a spare,only small problem is that unit uses 5/16" fuel line but should be simple enough to adapt

·
Administrator
27,938 Posts
Been thinking about it for some time and someday I am going to try this. Simple install and no wires.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
It would most likely work good if you could just mount it and still have a rev counter drive that didn't leak, or you could just leave the the old pump on there and blank it off.

·
Administrator
27,938 Posts
It would most likely work good if you could just mount it and still have a rev counter drive that didn't leak, or you could just leave the the old pump on there and blank it off.
I would just make a cover plate to go where the mechanical pump is and mount the new pump to the cover. Like this one I made for an electric.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts

·
Administrator
27,938 Posts
That unit relies on crankcase vacuum pulses.
It would work on a 2 stroke or a single cylinder 4 stroke engine but I doubt it would work on a Goldwing.

Of course at that price it's worth a try and if it doesn't work you could use it on something else like a Harley.:ROFL:
Last I checked a goldwing has vacuum pulses in the intakes, correct me if I am wrong since you seem to think that is your purpose in life.

Oh, and I failed to mention it has already been done successfully.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I run that pump. Been running it for over 20K miles with no problem at all.
I removed the rubber surround and mounted it underneath my left shelter.
When the original fuel filter supplied with it became full, I replaced it with a hose barb fitting that screwed in its place. I forget the size. It feeds my single carb set-up. I've never had a problem with too much/too little gas getting to the carb that I'm aware of. Haven't wasted time flowing it. No need to, as I saw it, when initially purchased. Spec'd fine for my application. Shouldn't matter wether on my single carb or on the factory four.
I left the factory pump in place. No need for me to remove it as it still works and doesn't leak. I replaced what was there with what is there back when I put the electric one on because, yes, my original pump was sucking air. I've a thread on it somewhere around here. Went through trying to rebuild the old one. Not worth the effort IMO. Initial thoughts were for redundant fuel supply should the electric pump fail. Well, it never has.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Apparently that little pump doesn't know it can't work on a Goldwing, so it works anyway! :raspberry: Kind of like the bumblebee that doesn't know he can't fly, so he flies anyway.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Electric pump

So, with an electric pump... if I were to forget to turn off my petcock, fuel shouldn't keep running to the carb, right?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Last I checked a goldwing has vacuum pulses in the intakes, correct me if I am wrong since you seem to think that is your purpose in life.

Oh, and I failed to mention it has already been done successfully.
I would love to see the successful use on something that requires the volume of fuel that 1000cc plus requires. Photos would be appreciated.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
So, with an electric pump... if I were to forget to turn off my petcock, fuel shouldn't keep running to the carb, right?
The check valves on most pumps are so light fuel will gravity feed through them so no.

I would love to see the successful use on something that requires the volume of fuel that 1000cc plus requires. Photos would be appreciated.
See above.
But I'm not sure how low you could run your fuel tank if in fact the pump isn't working and you're only gravity feeding.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I've hydro-locked once with the pump I use. Sold as a "Mr. Gasket 42S" piece at most big-box auto parts chains like Advance, Trak Auto, O'Reiley's, etc..
I had a float stick leaving the valve open. Filled one cylinder and the entire left side of my intake.
Advertised to prevent flooding. Ha! I gotta story for Mr. Gasket about gas all over my garage wall...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I've hydro-locked once with the pump I use. Sold as a "Mr. Gasket 42S" piece at most big-box auto parts chains like Advance, Trak Auto, O'Reiley's, etc..
I had a float stick leaving the valve open. Filled one cylinder and the entire left side of my intake.
Advertised to prevent flooding. Ha! I gotta story for Mr. Gasket about gas all over my garage wall...
Cap't, you got flooding with the electric fuel pump on a single carb? The single carb is so much higher than the stock carbs...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Cap't, you got flooding with the electric fuel pump on a single carb? The single carb is so much higher than the stock carbs...
...still lower than the top of the tank...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.