Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Everyone,:waving:

When I first got hold of my Goldwing, I had a Vetter fairing attached to the bike. Then after a couple rides the starter, headlight, and blinkers started going in and out intermittently.. The starter and headlight ended up stopping altogether. But the blinkers still work on and off sometimes, even after I took off the fairing. I took my bike to a mechanic, and told him my issue. I have left my bike there for a week for him to look at. Today he called, and told me the push button switch on the starter is bad(fine ok) then he said the reason why my rear blinkers are not working is because I don't have front blinkers. But the problem is they have been working on and off without the front blinkers...My questions are: Should I leave my bike there and have him continue working on it? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for my electrical issue, and/or can you suggest someone in the Sacramento Area that may be more familiar with the bike....I like the guy, I just wonder if his shop may not be to familiar with my bike. Any suggestions would help..

Thank you

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
imported post

good luck getting anybody that knows much about GL1000's w/windjammers but it can happen by accident at any time.

Your windjammer draws power for it's horn, headlight, front turn signals from the main harness via these so called electrical connector clips which can corrode (power/no power).

So to answer your question if the mechanic has the patience he can "trace" the problem. Your rear blinkers are still tied into the main harness btw.

Dude, get into that bike and dig around you will learn a lot, remember, complexity is nothing more than a multitude of simple things.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

+1 on that. The best thing to do is get familiar with the bike yourself. You'll know way more about it than any mechanic you can find (most of which are younger than the bike).
The starter and headlight circuits both go through the start button so he is likely right about that. It can actually be dis-assembled and cleaned. Radio Shack has a little push button switch that can be used (once the housing is hogged out a little bit with a dremel tool).
The blinker unit needs to see enough of a load to trip the bi-metal contact. You may be right near enough load for it to work once in a while but with a light missing (or just burned out) it could be intermittent. A solid state or heavy duty flasher unit may fix the problem.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

He is probably right about the start switch, and the blinkers. Depending on what kind of flasher it has on it they could either blink real fast, the same or not at all with only the rears connected.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Tho starter switch is probably s correct disgnosis as i have experienced this my self. Note there is an oem replacement available not too difficult to install and considering what you would pay foe labor and the part you may want to look into. I dont reccomend a used one as it may have a short life left in itself.
As for your blinkers you can go to your local auto parts dealer and purchase an electronic flasher for bout 10 bucks, they work great but may not solve your issue if you have a bad connection.
Those fairings and thier connections can make for a world of adventure if they have not at least been installed properly.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I don't think so. The problem is with the blinkers and not the head or taillights and he no longer has front turn indicators since the fairing came off. I'm sure there are front blinkers available on E-bay. The mount studs can be hard to find though.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you everyone for the very informative info....Everything helps!!! I cant wait to ride my baby again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.