Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I just purchased a 78 GL1000 and am in the process of changing all fluids, filters, tires and getting used to my new to me bike.

I noticed when I bought the bike one of the previous owners cut off the baffles on the exhausts... I also noticed the large rust holes underneath near the tips that were cut off.

1. If I replace the exhausts with some Emgo universals from JCWhitney, will I need to mess with rejet??

2. The bike came with the two up saddleman seat, in good shape, just not my style, Is there a market for this seat or should I try cutting it up to get the look I want?? I dont want to trash something that someone else may be looking for...

3. Same question with the Vetter Fairing, I removed it, has horns and lights installed, both side flaps with keys to throttle side lock, brackets and all... Is this thing worth anything OR do I keep it and mount a small TV in it for my garage?? Really nice shape, so I also dont want to ruin it!!! I like it!!! Just not a fairing guy...

So far, I have changed the oil, fuel lines, filters, final gear oil, fork oil, air filter, handlebars, grips and tires are this weekend...

Thanks for your input!!!

Attachments

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
You should be able to use any aftermarket or even Harley mufflers without rejetting. Before handing out big money for mufflers, check out the threads on using cheaply available Harley mufflers.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Generally speaking, no jetting is required until you start playing with the intake. I had aftermarket exhaust on my '78 with no problems.
I'm assuming you're not going to be making too many "long" trips since you're removing the fairing? If that's the case, just find another seat that suits you. You don't have to step up a corbin or saddleman for short trips, unless the style agrees with you. (a corbin gunfighter might look nice on that rig).
Aftermarket parts are worth what someone will pay. Do a quick ebay and list "for pickup only". The shipping will kill you on the fairing.

My god man! You've already screwed up the throttle, and lost the front fender!!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I dunno about the '78 but when I put a Dennis Kirk downturn set on mine, I lost about 20% power, got it back when I went back to standard!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in OLY TOO!!

Hey GLHonda, I am at the end of Steamboat Island Rd. Olympia.

Maybe we can meet up one day?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Hey GLHonda, I am at the end of Steamboat Island Rd. Olympia.Maybe we can meet up one day?
I make it a policy not to date guys on the forum.........:ROFL:
If you need a hand, let me know. The advise is free.....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Check out a Corbin Gunfighter seat. You'll probably like it and they look and feel awesome naked 'Wing imo.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I like the Touring also.
The Gunfighter is not a solo seat. It's a two-up short-haul seat. No Momma is going to sit all day on it and love life though...

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang it...

GLHONDA, I agree... Besides my garage would be envious of all the Hondas in your garage!

Thanks again for all the input everybody!! I may try to make up my own seat... kinda a scrambler type seat. I dont like riding two up, so no worries about passenger comfort.

I ended up changing the rear tire and fork oil today... Plus I re-installed the front fender...:claps:

I will do the front tire some day this week..

I am excited to get some new mufflers on this girl. Maybe the carbs are fine and wont need any help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Here is my old 1100 that i put sporsters mufflers on got them off craigs list for $40 new

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sporty mufflers

Bassmasterb65,

Thanks for the suggestion. Did you have to rejet? or just bolt the up?

I have a bro in law in Idaho who is into the harley thing, My wife is heading over to see his new baby in a couple weeks, so I asked him to keep his ears open for a set!!

Thanks again!;)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I may try to make up my own seat...
The seat on my '78 started out as a "Hang Two" double bucket monstrosity-of-a-perch.

"sewing" ain't only for the girls... :waving:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.