Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a GL1000 engine in my custom trike...During a tuning session, today, while the engine was running fine, the engine shut down without warning...No sputtering, fuel is fine (electric fuel pump working)....Fuel is going into carb, and I'm seeing fuel spraying (Im using a single VW 1600 carb)...The engine/carb combo has been great...This is a brand new issue.
I need to know if this engine has a BAS sensor, as I can't seem to find one on the wiring diagram. If not, is there a low-oil shutdown sensor, that would cause this problem? Oil light only comes on after engine stops.
Thanks for help
Edward

·
Administrator
26,332 Posts
Engines don't have BAS, it's part of the bikes wiring and 1000s didn't have them anyway, nor is there a low oil shut off. You lost power to the ignition somewhere, being customized who knows?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engines don't have BAS, it's part of the bikes wiring and 1000s didn't have them anyway, nor is there a low oil shut off. You lost power to the ignition somewhere, being customized who knows?
The electrical system is exactly as it came from the bike....I made no changes there...Engine has been running great till today.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
The Kill switch has two wires (input/output). Open the switch and check for power on both wires.

·
Administrator
26,332 Posts
Check for power to the coils and work backward from there, kill switch then ignition switch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Kill switch has two wires (input/output). Open the switch and check for power on both wires.
After the stopping event, I was able to restart the engine...But I did not let it run, since I wasn't sure about the cause, if it was oil pressure related.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check for power to the coils and work backward from there, kill switch then ignition switch.
O.K...Good idea...Do I turn on the key and shutoff switch, then check the primary wires ? Can I do this at the coils? (Sorry, I've never messed with these coils, so no familiar with them).

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you are running full 1000 wiring dont forget the coils have a ballast resistor fitted as they are 9v coild not 12v.
If for some reason you have bypassed this you may have killed the coils with heat so they work cold and stop when warmed up. I have had this, not on a Honda but on other bikes and cars

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are running full 1000 wiring dont forget the coils have a ballast resistor fitted as they are 9v coild not 12v.
If for some reason you have bypassed this you may have killed the coils with heat so they work cold and stop when warmed up. I have had this, not on a Honda but on other bikes and cars
As I said earlier, I have not changed the wiring...If the resistor is mounted at the coils, then it is still there...So you are saying that I should be reading 9V at the coil, or should I still read 12v going in? Which wire color is the incoming primary?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I said earlier, I have not changed the wiring...If the resistor is mounted at the coils, then it is still there...So you are saying that I should be reading 9V at the coil, or should I still read 12v going in? Which wire color is the incoming primary?
...Is there a test for the ballast resistor?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Here.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3268101-need-a-dummies-how-to-test-a-ballast-resistor.html

·
Administrator
26,332 Posts
The primary wire is black with a white stripe. If you have power on both ends of the ballast resistor it is good.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Bryan,
The voltage running should average to about 9 volts. If the points are open you should read 12volts. With the points closed it will be quite a bit lower. Depends where you are checking voltage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts