Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So I removed my 75 engine and put in a 78 engine (after hand cranking it many, many times to be sure it was okay) but have a few questions about the bolts on the frame. I had laid them out exactly where they were supposed to go but unfortunately the removal and new install took longer than expected and was delayed by rain (don't have a garage) and a quick dumping of parts into trays. Basically I would appreciate it if someone could take a picture of the various bolts and washers on the left side of the bike where the frame section is removable and that part just below the starter so I can put the correct bolts and nuts back. The good news is that with just the starter, neutral and battery cables (no fuel or spark) the new(er) engine is cranking cleanly and there are no weird noises.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Just found a digital copy of Honda GL1000 1975 to 1979 Honda Parts Manual now so I will use that if no one posts but I do like pictures :)

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

If I were you, I''d add a small amount of gasoline with a filter and a petcutoff switch to see if it starts before you put it in.
Good Luck,
Nighrider1

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

The engine is already in the frame with the two lower bolts (by the foot pegs), the lower front cross bolt and rear cross bolt holding it in place. I have already turned it over on the starter and will hook up carbs once the rest of the bolts are in place. Might even get it finished tonight if I am lucky.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Well I hit a snag, engine is in bike, starter, carbs and all wires are connected. The bike (or at least the timing belt and connected parts like cam shafts and crank) appears to be turning over correctly. However the bike doesn't actually kick over without starter. I can't tell 100% if gas is going into pistons (remember it's 1975 carbs on 78 engine) and the bike sounds the same whether the three pronged plug from the engine is plugged in or not (not sure about all the terms). The bike is in neutral and clutch cable is connected, clutch belt covers and radiator is off. If looks like some of plastic on 3 prong plug is melted. Does this mean the engine (which I never heard running but hand cranked cleanly many times) is shot or that is there a simple way to check. I have a volt meter but am not an expert on bikes and less so on electrical. FYI points are from 75 bike and it appears to be spinning without issue. Kinda open ended but any help would be appreciated as my previous bike was tuned and ran for a week before the engine seized (suspect mechanic did bad oil job but can't prove it) so I would like to get this running. If I could replace the clutch, three prong harness and rest of rear end from parts off 75 bike without pulling engine from frame I will do it if it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

If you are talking about the three pin plug just in front of the battery with the three yellow wires then that is the charging circuit so it shouldn't affect the starting of the motor. There are plenty of threads on the yellow wires. Cut, solder and heatshrink.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.