Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have an 1975 GL1000 that seemed great for the first 300 miles (bought it last spring) until the engine seized up. I have found a couple of parts bikes in the same age range 75-79 but was wondering if the kick start would work with the 78-79 models should I buy an engine from one of those. Due to licensing and other requirements I would most likely use current 75 frame and all parts and only take engine from other bike.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I know, I know but I would like the backup since I had fun jump/push/run starting a 84 Shadow 750 a few times, don't have the best luck :) and would like to keep this option if possible.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

nofixedaddress wrote:
I know, I know but I would like the backup since I had fun jump/push/run starting a 84 Shadow 750 a few times, don't have the best luck :) and would like to keep this option if possible.
I had bought a new '77 back when, and eventually dug the kick lever out to try it, along with push starting. Did all this just prior to a planned long trip to learn my limitations & options, and at that time I remember thinking that I preferred pushing it and jumping on, over using that darned kick lever... it is true, I never really HAD to use anything but the electric start feature on that fine bike...:action:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

there is NO kick start on the 78-9 engines.....

just remember, the carbs are different for every year and the carbs are matched to the cams of that years engine. you can put earlier carbs on later engines, but you will not get the advantage of the earlier carbs

probably the 76 engine is the best performer and the 79 the worst

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.