Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Left turn is fine, right turn I hear the flasher relay work once, then it just stops with the indicator lit up. If the flasher's failed, wouldn't they both stop? And if it was earth/bulb/wiring, it wouldn't work at all, I reckon.
Anybody had this fault or can shed some light?
TIA.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

No understanding of electrics here, but can I suggest relay, as a start point for troubleshooting?

:waving:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Check the bulbs, if one works it's not the flasher.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

About 90% sure you have a bulb out on the right hand side or you have a Ground (Earth) problem on that side. the circuit is not completing.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If a bulb is out, doesn't the indicator for that side flash rapidly? or is that only on newer models?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

If a bulb is out the older model ones come on and stay on, just like he described. The older system flashers work from current flow. If the bulb is blown or a connection is faulty the circuit is never made and there is no current flow so the flasher "Sticks" for lack of the correct term.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
If a bulb is out the older model ones come on and stay on, just like he described. The older system flashers work from current flow. If the bulb is blown or a connection is faulty the circuit is never made and there is no current flow so the flasher "Sticks" for lack of the correct term.
"sticks" is a good enough term for me Whisker!!:)Well now I know and that may prove useful on the GL1000 I got recently. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yep. First check is the right side bulbs. It sounds like one is blown.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

let us know what the outcome was Dougfal, for the benifit of the readers. :waving:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:On the GL1100 if a bulb is out on one side the good bulb will flash rapidly. A few minutes ago I removed the R/H rear turn signal bulb on my '83 Interstateto simulate a defective bulbthen turned the key on andmoved the turn signal switch toright and the R/H front turn siganal flashed rapidly.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
:waving:On the GL1100 if a bulb is out on one side the good bulb will flash rapidly. A few minutes ago I removed the R/H rear turn signal bulb on my '83 Interstateto simulate a defective bulbthen turned the key on andmoved the turn signal switch toright and the R/H front turn siganal flashed rapidly.
Nice one 83GoldWinger, this will add to the wealth of knowledge on here. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I guess it depends on the flasher unit because this weekend when I upgraded the cabling to the fairing on my '80 I inadvertantly disconnected one of the indicator wires. In this case the one working bulb "stuck" on.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
I guess it depends on the flasher unit because this weekend when I upgraded the cabling to the fairing on my '80 I inadvertantly disconnected one of the indicator wires. In this case the one working bulb "stuck" on.
:waving:It is possible what you describe as the turn signal flasher for the '80-'82 is a different Honda part number than the '83. Part # for the '80-'82 is: 38300-415-P00 and for the '83 the part # is: 38301-MG9-681. Earlier I removed the L/H turn signal assy. on my '83 and then turned on the left turn signal & the rear flashed rapidly as it would if a bulb was burned out. Don't know what the differences are between the two turn signal relays.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Rear bulb is the one not working, so will replace, but it's not in stock in my small town parts store. They've ordered one, stand by....

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The story so far....
New bulb no different - swapped bulbs left to right on the rear and they all work on the left, none on the right.
Replaced flasher unit with standard two pin auto one, and now the front right flasher works but the rear still doesn't.
There was some oxidation on the earth connector ring, so I cleaned that, still no go.
I'll try to trace the circuit back, but any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You would sound to be on the right track Dougfal, tracing the wire, since a break in continuity would give the same symptoms as a bulb being out.

Maybe you could just introduce a bit of spare wire from the bulb holder at the rear to the one at the front, first the live and then if that doesn't show it , the nuteral, which would at least tell you which one you need to be tracing.

Hope this helps a little

:waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

All fixed. The earth wire had separated at the junction under the seat - maybe loosened during installation of the luggage rack in the States before export, when the indicators have to be removed and reinstalled.
Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Glad you have it sorted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.