Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Worth it or not? I am wondering about how the bike will look with floorboards and if the effort and expense will be worth it.

I can find very few pictures of the 79 Wing with floorboards. If you are willing to share I will be greatful as all get out.

Tell me about your floorboard woes too. Do you regret installing them? Can you live without them?

Any problems with shifter arrangement?

Sorry folks, I am not interested (at this time) in any info on floorboards on any other Wing than the 79 GL1000.

I am working a project bike and very interested in your experience with this Classic Wing.

Bob in Belen

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Floorboards by Markland and Markland copies are mostly a simple bolt on application. If you get a used set, make sure you get the longer bolt through the front of the engine. 1 hour or less work.

The boards make longer trips more confortable. I like them but other people don't. Save the original pegs in case you have a change of heart.

Shift problem? Sometimes. You need to use the heal toe adaptor and sometimes they are tempermental. There is less room for your toe to shift without it as the boards are underneath.

I think the GLll00 boards work fine on the 1979 as the motor config is the same. Meaning, it would be easier to find of Ebay or other places.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I'm tall with size 13 shoes. I put boards on both my '80 and '83. Night and day difference! No more missed shifts. Dress shoes/boots can be worn. More comfortable seating position. Sidestand had to be reworked a bit. The boards touch down earlier in the twisties but I don't drive hard anyway so no difference. Make sure that the rubber mats are well attached.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Love the floorboards hate the heel/toe shifter. With the boards you have a lot of foot /leg movement. I would like the heel/toe shifter if it were designed better. The heel part is about 2 inches higher than it should be. I also like the looks of the boards. Another drawback, it is difficult to backup without bumping your shins. I have them for rider and passenger.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

The only time they suck is when your laying the bike down (Which sucks anyways) & they squish your foot into the engine. Be cautious when cornering until you get used to the contact point where they begin to rub the road, Than you know your limitations!

Ride safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.