Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1977 GL1000. I stripped the plug on top of the forks and need one as fast as possible so I can get my bike back on the road (am going to still drive it anyway, but have the wheel off etc now). It is the black allen head plug on top of the forks. I was changing seals. ANY help appreciated.

thanks.

[email protected]

also, pic of my gl1000. I painted it myself. Not original, but unigue

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

don_berry wrote:
I have a 1977 GL1000. I stripped the plug on top of the forks and need one as fast as possible so I can get my bike back on the road (am going to still drive it anyway, but have the wheel off etc now). It is the black allen head plug on top of the forks. I was changing seals. ANY help appreciated.

thanks.

[email protected]

also, pic of my gl1000. I painted it myself. Not original, but unigue
Welcome to the forum.

You could try ebay, but you'd probably have to buy a whole fork leg. I don't know if Honda still has them but it's worth a try.

http://www.goldwinginfo.comhas all the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

They are still available. A friend got 2 of them from a Boston dealer late last year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Hello don_berry, last night I got one cap bolt on one side, the other one tonight I hope. I am sure you will find a cap bolt for your ride. My 1500 was hard to get cap on(forks still attached to bike), lack of room for hand in area, so I made a small piece of 2x4 custom-cut to fit general area where fork cap will sit when installed, I then made a partial cut out in the bottom of this2x4, the exact dimension of cap boltto allow capbolt to rest in 2x4 and not have tendancy to slide out. I then drilled 2 holes in each side of 2x4 custom-cut block to install 2 bolts- 6 inches long. Put the two 6 inch longbolts through the 2 holes on the custom cut2x4, added two nuts and washers and tightened the bolts stug. I then cut a bigger width block of wood,( 1x6 anddrilled holes in this block to match up with the bolts from the custom 2x4),I then put two morenuts on the 6 inch bolts and screwed these nuts down to the required height I wanted the 1x6 in. piece of wood to be at, and put two washers on the boltsand attached this bigger 1x6 in.block of wood to the bolts. Then I secured this 2nd block of wood with the last two nuts and washers. The two pieces of wood have a hole drilled in the centre to allow the tools to slide through to access the allen head fork bolt. The custom-cut 2x4 (lowest) needs a smaller hole for the allen head. The second block of wood ( I used a 1x6 inch piece of wood) needs a bigger hole to allow extension to fit through to attach to allen head tool. It was hard for me to apply the required pressure to get the fork bolt cap to touch the forks in a steady and controlled pressure. I found myself struggling. Figuring I was losing alot of my energy due to the "for every action there is anopposite and equal reaction", so if I applied x amount of energy to the fork cap bolt, I was losing that much energy in the opposite direction away from the cap bolt. What I tried was, using a 8 foot web sling used for hoisting,(crane operator)and tied the two ends of the web slingto the crach bars beside the motor with the appropriate pieces of ropes and adjusting them to the right length, which depends on personal body size. I placed my body inside the web sling and positioned the web sling to rest on a comfortable position on my back. I stood on the foot pegs and now when I push down on the wood adapter,the fork cap was compressing the spring in a smooth controlled fashion. I stillneeded my wife toratchet the tool to screw in thefork cap bolt, but I liked the control I had compressing the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

fortunately on the gl1000, the caps are not that hard if the forks are extended. On the centerstand or a jack, they screw right in. My problem was one was stuck trying to get out. Had to beat it with a hammer. Anxiously awaiting new one in mail. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.