Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While my 1000 has the tank, rear wheel, battery bay and other bits out I had a look around the center stand area, it lookedreassuringly sturdy and little rusted. Any other areas tocheck out and should I be rust inhibiing the frame or drilling drain holes anywhere?

I ask as I have heard rumours of 1000 frames rusting out and last year I saw several 1100s with the c stand mounts rusted badly ormissing. One had been repaired and the owner had drilled drain holes, he reckoned their lack caused the rust problems in the first place.

Cheers and TIA,

JohnR

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I think drain holes are just inviting water and moisture to come inside the frame and eat away from the inside out. I certainly would never drill any holes in my frame that are not going to be covered up and sealed.

One of the reasons I think they rust out down there is that area is out of sight and out of mind until it's way too late. Gotta keep that area cleaned and the metal covered up.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

When I stripped my gl1100 down for painting I had to replace the mount for the centre stand and the cross member it attached to. Both were rusted away and the centre stand was only holding on by one mount. I managed to re use the mounting brackets again but the centre tube was repaired with weld. ( Ie weld filled). the bracing bracket was replaced with square section tube. The tube did have drain points in it already but these had blocked. As they were tucked away behind the brace for the mounts this was not noticable. If you look at the frame this area is the lowest point and therefore moisture will collect there. The drain points are therefore needed. I don't know if the 1000 had these but I would say this is a must. Frames will collect moisture even is totally sealed and air is inside and will condense. The holes were only about 1 ml diameter.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just noticed a breather tube clamp bolt in the frame above the c. stand and removed it with difficulty. (Shown almost removed in the photo)It was rusted at the end and looked wet, and this is a bike that has not been used for 11 years !!!

Removed the c. stand and there is a drain hole in the frame but its small and not quiteat the lowest point and is almost closed off when the stand is down. Probing through with a drill I can feel a small hole through into the cross member as well.

I think a couple more holes at the lowest point at either sideare in order, then I will dry it out for a day with an old aquariumair pump, and finaly an underseal spray. More work!

On the photo forward is to the right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

At thye risk of sounding obsesive,I found out how the water got into the c stand sumount. Ther is avent at the top where it joins the cross member and when washing it down without the front part of the rear mudguard in place it just catches quite a bit of water.Does not seem a good idea for normal operation either so I will seal that one with silastic.

Dried out the stand support with a hairdrier on low for a day and then underseal spray via the lower drain and it will now last longer than me!

Another month before I am flying on my Wing though, holidays intervene.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

hi,ive done several of these now and one commom place to find rot is inside the removable part of the frame beside the side stand

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

hi,ive done several of these now and one commom place to find rot is inside the removable part of the frame beside the side stand

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks, I will have a look in there sometime butthe frame looks robust and I am trying to put it all together and get it running at the moment. You know how it is, the more bits you take off, the more bits you lose.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.