Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I started looking at a 450 Nighthawk I have. The front brake is a single disc.

So I'm standing there looking at it, and looking at the front brake on my 'Wing, and back and forth I'm looking.

So I start measuring. ...The entire front wheel assembly will swap right over, caliper bracket and all.

Problem one is that the little 450 is a single disc, so I'll have to find a roughly same year model that has dual disc using the same caliper (it's what I know so far).

Another thread got me looking at this.Anyone done anything like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

After you are all done, what are you trying to accomplish? A different look or a better braking system? I have heard that some other people have changed their 80-81 single piston calipers 1100s to the dual piston 82s, only to find braking was no better. Replacing old brake lines made the most difference. I was just quoted $177 for an OEM brake line replacement, so that seems to be the way to go. I'd like to have the best brakes I can get.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well for now I'm really tossing the idea around. I'd hope for better braking. That would be my purpose. I'm pretty satisfied with the braking that I have. I can take the wheel to lock now if I wanted to. I've really no complaints.

This actually started because I had a caliper seal give out on me on the GL and I happened to notice the spacing of the CB's fork leg mounting of the caliper bracket looked the same as the GL's. So I started measuring. The one thing I didn't measure, but recall looking at is that the disc on the CB looks to be a smaller diameter than the GL's disc. I really haven't noticed any fading issue with what I have in the stock set-up (using Ferodo asbestos pads) and would hate to find a fade issue after going through a swap with any of the CB's stuff. It's an '82. I'd have to either measure or just try it, but I think I can just swap calipers only as well.

Seems '82 was the year Honda switched to dual piston calipers..

But the same here. I'd like the best brakes I can get as well, butI'm not up for EBC's deal of $250 per slotted rotor either. There's nothing in my braking that can justify $500-$750+ for EBC's slotted rotors.

More is not always better though. A friend has a Hyabusa. He tells me that Suzuki went from 6-piston calipers back to 4-piston calipers and he notices a improvement with the 4-piston calipers.

So, you're probably right. I may be spinning wheels with this. Maybe a set of stainless lines is time/money better spent.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
After you are all done, what are you trying to accomplish? A different look or a better braking system? I have heard that some other people have changed their 80-81 single piston calipers 1100s to the dual piston 82s, only to find braking was no better. Replacing old brake lines made the most difference. I was just quoted $177 for an OEM brake line replacement, so that seems to be the way to go. I'd like to have the best brakes I can get.
If it' sthe best brakes you want, braided lines are much better than the OEM rubber lines. You won't believe how much of an improvement that makes.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

+1 on the braided lines.
Folk say that drilling the stock rotors can help in wet weather.
The biggest improvement is going to a master with a smaller piston.Nissin makesa 16mmunit with a plastic round reservoir (looks more like stock) or the re-pop 1200 one that is available on e-bay (14mm bore)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-GL1000-GL1100-GL1200-GL1500-/140611480941?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bd18ed6d)

The 14mm bore may be over-leveraged a bitbut I like it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Greg, I saw that Master afew months back when I was looking for one for another bike. The short of it is that I stayed with factory on that bike.

I've kept the bike pretty much the same as the Original Owner bought it (aside from induction and seat) from the Dealer. Aside from induction and seat, I would like to stay all Honda or at least all Factory Jap-bike. I'm trying to stay around the same era for it with stuff I add to it, or change from it. I want the experience of riding it as if it was still way-back-when... What I've done to the induction and seat could've been done back then, so that's what I tell myself to be Ok with it. I did chang theleft handlebar control to a '80 model Kaw for the self-cancelling turn signal feature and I feel I'm cheating the concept a bit because I'm unsure if it was available in '78. I'll verify it one day, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't available then. My trip computer is '78 as well. At least the GPS is able to come off and get stored as it's not permanently mounted.

I know, ...anal. But that's how I'm trying to roll with it.

My thinking is: What would I've done if it were me that bought it new back then? Would I've upgraded the brakes? Stainless line were available back then, but awfully expensive. Drilling the rotors would've been an upgrade to stock smoothies, so I'll probably do that. Would I have optioned for a set of dual piston calipers for the front 4 years later if the braking force was improved by the swap?

I'm really trying to stay period and Jap with it. The '80's saw some really incredible all-around performance gains in Jap bikes, but what could've I done staying in the same family of bikes with what was available for swapping, because there wasn't a lot of "run down the street and buy this" kind of stuff happening unless it was bolt-on doo-dad bling-type stuff. Whatever was available performance-wise was coming out of the magazines back then. Bike mechanics who had at least some race exposure knew some things, but finding them was hard.

The "Bigger is Better" route of swapping parts was the usual route. In reality, my GL has great brakes. I don't know that I would've been looking for something better. But if I was, what would've I found? That's kinda where I'm at with posting the thread. Brian has kinda answered it for me - not worth the effort even with GL dual piston calipers. Not enough gain for the effort (using Factory parts) and I don't get into the bling aspect of just doing it to have them just to know that they are no better than stock.

People shake their heads at me enough as it is... :ROFL:

:waving:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I'm not terribly into stock (oh really?) and my front master was beat-up and ugly. Since the E-bay one looks like a stock 1979 master I went with it.
The '79 front MC is an option if you can find one. I think the '79 might still have the 17mm piston but it did have the lower-sitting rectangular plastic reservoir.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah, I'll stick with the round reservoir master. I'll probably just stick with the original set-up, adding braided lines and drilling the rotors a bit.

Most other riders just don't realize how old the bike actually is. Other bikes from the same '70's period are pretty distinguishable as being '70's bikes, albeit late '70's. I'm continually asked, "what year is it?". The details, like the round reservoir, keep 'em guessing I suppose.

Shoot, most don't even notice the induction because they don't know what they're looking at. :ROFL:

Whole lotta new riders out there. I'm sure you get it in spades... :waving:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Before I put the "Goldwing" tags on the sidecovers all I got was "nice beemer". More people recognized the Eldorado tail lights than the bike.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
I bought SS lines from a forum member. Great deal, quick shipping. Try this:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum6/65982.html

Good luck...
Bob

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yeah Greg, I haven't run any ID tags on it, meaning nothing that says Honda or Goldwing, ...until yesterday when I swapped a bar clamp from a CB that says Honda, changing out the two single clamps for the one solid piece. The valve covers do say Honda on them though, but I guess nobody catches it... I get the BMW guesses also.

And Yes Bob, I'll go with lophea's stuff when I get to that point. A great suggestion.

Thanks for the input all.. :)

(...even the bar-clamp won't say anything. :cool:)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.