Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked my bike back up from the shop this weekend. I notice today when I was rechecking the valve gaps that I had raw fuel in the right valve cover. It does not seem to be a carb issue. I turn of my fuel valve after ever trip. When I turn the fuel valve on, I starting getting gas drops forming on the rocker arm shaft. Any suggestions. Can the fuel pump cause this issue?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know how the manual fuel pump works. Is it run off the cam there? That would make sense.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It does run off the camshaft, BTW that's what I meant when i said rocker arm shaft. had a brain fart. I am going to remove the fuel pump and see if I might have a o-ring or casket that has failed.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the diapham has a hole in it. they can be rebuilt, if you can find the inner parts.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Better off with another pump than trying to rebuild the one you have.

Wow, if you got fuel passing through the diaphragm like that, you got some serious fuelissue going on there.

Pull the fuel-pump cover off of the pump and look at the diaphragm itself. Seems you should've had some kind of ride issue priorto it failing like that. Sure it's gas and not anti-freeze?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

there should be a vent hole below the diaphragm in the pump body. is it open? or has it been pluged closed?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Very hard for fuel to get from the pump to the valves through the pump/tach housing I'd say almost impossible..more likely you have carbs issues..float set to high and/or bad float needles or seats.

For fuel to get there fr4omt eh pump it would have to fill the tach housing and be forced into the valve head..and there's no pressure in the tach housing to do that.

And if the weep hole isn't plugged it will leak out there first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.