Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

bike leaks water into the oil. how do i determine if it's the head gasket, a cracked head/bottom end, or a warped something. i checked the four plugs under the cams they appear o.k. it happened in the early summer and didn't register any abnormal temperatures. the head gaskets are recent. any thoughts, test ideas would be great. thanks jer.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

First off, welcome to the greatest goldwing forum there is. I'm not much of a mechanic but have a few thoughts. You said the head gaskets were recent. Was this because of a problem? You also stated this happened earlier in the summer. Has it happened only once or is it still occuring? Have you been riding it all summer? Is there any smoke present from the exhaust? The more info you can provide the real mechanics on this forum, the more accurate their answers will be?

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

jerprouse wrote:
bike leaks water into the oil. how do i determine if it's the head gasket, a cracked head/bottom end, or a warped something. i checked the four plugs under the cams they appear o.k. it happened in the early summer and didn't register any abnormal temperatures. the head gaskets are recent. any thoughts, test ideas would be great. thanks jer.
Just a quick couple of questions!!. Did you buy the gaskets for the heads from Mother Honda?. Aftermarket head gaskets seem to have this problem that your describing. If the torque on the head bolts are not exact!!, then you will leak Coolant!!. Did you go back and recheck the torque of the head bolts after running them for awhile?. Did you run a straight edge on the head or the block to check for warping?. aluminum heads cannot beMagnafluxed because there not Carbon based!!. Therefor they will not magnetized!!. Try to give us as much info as you can regarding the heads. Like what was done to them if anything?. Why did you replace the gaskets?.Where did you buy them from?, Like EBAY??, Mother Honda, Were they OEM gaskets??. We want to help but give us a short history lesson as towhy they were replaced.

................................. Allan AKA flyboyziel56:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

its ongoing i'm not riding it i drained the system and flushed the oil. i have a twin bike so i'm riding that. the gaskets were changed by previos owner. no smoke just a rise in oil level and a lowering water level.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Water into the oil is more typically a bad waterpump.....

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

is there a method for determining if it's water pump related versus head gasket or other?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Aftermarket head gaskets do seem to fail prematurely at a much higher rate than OEM.
There is a pressure test described around here somewhere that can help to determine whether it's a head gasket. If the head gasket is bad then pressurizing the cylinders with air can result in bubbling in the radiator.

If you pull the lower radiator hose cover from the front of the engine (you can leave the hose on it) you can access the impellor of the waterpump. If it is brown plastic then it is probably original. If it wiggles back and forth and up and down then the bearings are probably shot and that means the seal in there is probably shot as well. If it needs a waterpump then get one from Mother Honda. This is a job you don't want to do twice and aftermarket waterpumps fail more often than OEM.

There is a hole (about 1/8" diameter)in the bottom of the block about 3" behind where the lower radiator hose attaches. It is the weep hole for the waterpump. The hole should be clean and open up to the waterpump. If it shows signs of leaking fluid or oil out of that holethen the waterpump and/or the seal between the waterpump and oil pump is blown.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the advise . I will check out the pump. The bike is a 75 and has pretty low mi so I assume.the pump is original. The compression is good so it must be a gallery to jacket prob or the pump.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

checked it out. pump is hosed, looks like red plastic so must be aftermarket. thanks for the heads up

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

You can have good compression and still have a blown headgasket. However, if it's leaking as much as you describe, there should be other symptoms as well.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The original waterpumps had reddish brown plastic impellors. The new ones have stamped metal impellors.
Replacing the waterpump is not a terrible job. Getting the phillips head screws out of the front cover is tough. I would suggest replacing them with allen heads.
The most tedious part is scraping the old gasket. When setting the new O-rings in place use plumbers grease. It's sticky and the O-rings will stay put while you put the front cover back on. Lube the O-rings on the new waterpump before you slide it in. Those are easy to pinch. I recall it cost me about $125 for an OEM waterpump and another $40 for shipping and gaskets, O-rings, etc. Good time to replace the thermostat, radiator cap, and hoses. There are cross reference numbers to aftermarket parts for those.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks again. i've been eyeing those Philips screws. I think they won't be as pretty by the time the're out.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Only took a week and a half too. Very good. When I did mine I piecemealed the parts from Honda and forgot a couple. It was three weeks before I got it back together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.