Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GL1100 fuel pump is spitting oil out the small hole on the lower rear section just under where the diaphram is. Any one else ever see this?

I have not pulled it apart to see why its doing this, and I am not sure if the rebuild to make it work would fix it either. I have been running the bike with a remote tank, gravity feeding to bypass the stock tank so I don't even know if the pump works at this point.

In my almost 30 years of working on Wings I have never had any issues with these pumps, but I do know that other than a new one there is not much out there for parts or info. I would rather re-do mine rather than get a new one (due to price), a used one (that might fail) or go electric (I want to keep it simple).

I found this thread: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/377919-gl1100-fuel-pump-leak.html

I will be sending a PM to RB about the diaphram material if he still has it, and I will post back on how things go with my repair.

Also, Randakks no longer offers their pump. http://www.randakks.com/Electrical%20Parts.htm

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I should have mentioned is that the pump did not start spitting oil until the coolant got into the oil. This might or might not be related, but just another detail.

Bill

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I've been running a "Mr. Gasket" off-the-shelf electric pump for a while now with zero problems from it.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really want to keep the original, but that is an option.

The diaphram looks ok, but I still need to see why the pump was spitting oil.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the diaphram is good, but the rubber seal under it is leaking. The lower seal looks like its made to keep oil out of the chamber under the diaphram.

I did not have much time to really look, but I could not find a way to remove the plunger from the pump assy. Anyone know how to do it?

If the seal is leaking bad enough to spit oil, then chances are if I plug the vent hole the oil SHOULD drain back down. Maybe I could put a fitting for a vac hose and connect it back to the lower part of the housing. I just don't want the oil to damage the diaphram.

Bill

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You don't want gas to be able to find its way into the oil either. I've had that happen on an Oldsmobile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.