Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a '77wing that my father-in-law gave me for christmas a year ago. It had not sat a lot and had some work done to it but he didn't like the ride so he bought a new VTX1300. When I got it I had a bit of tuning to do but the carbs had been rebuilt already, the timing had ben gone over, new belts, points conversion, and valve lash set, all by a small bike shop close to where he lives. I put new tires on it and freshened up the brake system, new fuel filter and fuel lines. When I started riding it daily it ran really rich and I continued to tune it until I got it balanced good and leaned out a little by little. I finally got it all tuned up and the power increased dramatically. About a month went by and I was riding home from work one day and the power started dropping off. I got home and left it running, took off my helmet to do some diagnosis and promptly heard a gurgling noise. Turned out to be coming from the overflow bottle of course. I opened the cap on the bottle a little to watch it and shut the engine off while watching. The gurgling promptly stopped the moment the engine shut off. After checking it out thoughly the things I noticed are, a small amount of white smoke from the left pipe, antifreeze dripping from the bottom of the left head right at the gasket when the engine isn't running, and the gurgling. There is no oil in the antifreeze and I didn't find any traces of coolant in the oil. This leads me to believe it is a compression leak from one of the left cylinder to the coolant passage. Unfortunately none of the fitting for my compression tester fit the spark plug holes on the engine. My guess is to replace the head gaskets, something I have a little experience with. Is there anything I could be overlooking? My second question is where should I go for head gaskets. I'm looking for the best quality for value. I don't nessesarily want the cheapest gaskets, just the best deal on good gaskets. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a bad gasket. It's not a hard task on a GL1000. Things to watch out for are exhaust header studs because they snap off easily. Also be careful not to damage the rubber O rings between the manifolds and head as they will suck in air and make the cylinder miss.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for that bit of info. I didn't know there were o-rings there. I assumed they were just regular gaskets.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

the very small o-ring is probually where you are getting the leak from,i'd go to a honda dealer to get oem head gasket, careful how you remove the old gasket from the head's

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Dont buy aftermarket head gaskets. They will fail!!! Honda gaskets are the only good ones out there so far!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

best deal.... go with oem

otherwise you will continue to screw around and replace the cheapos

here is where a dollar saved is a dollar wasted

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, sounds like the verdict is in I will be buying the OEM gaskets. Thank you all very much for you help. I have already been reading the stuff that has been posted in the past and will continue to read until I get caught up. At least with the stuff that pertains to my bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.