Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My headlight has not come on after starting until I touch the starter button pretty lightly. That worked for months, (not broken don't fix). Then recently it got worse and noticed took me 2 or 3 tries after starting to get it to come on.
Now it will not come on. I just took my starter button apart and cleaned contacts, put back together and it starts great, however, no matter how I touch the starter button, NO headlight. Help! Please.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

Did you by chance do a continuity check on the headlight switch contacts on the starter button switch?

I wonder if they are making contact after you release the start button.

Since you've already put it back together, you can test to see if 12 volts is making it from that switch to the headlights now.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No, but if you tell me how I will:).

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I wish I could, but I am not a 1000 guru.

But, we do have a lot of them on here, and one of them will be along "real soon now"... :D

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Patrick download the Honda service manual from this sight you can check continuity at the handle bar switch. There are two contact sets in there one to engage the starter the other removes power to the headlight while starter is engaged to reduce load on the battery. find the wiring diagram in the manual this will give the wire colors going to the switches. to me it looks like you might have to find another assembly look on fleebay for one, Honda didn't make these repairable.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

mainwiz3 wrote:
Patrick download the Honda service manual from this sight you can check continuity at the handle bar switch. There are two contact sets in there one to engage the starter the other removes power to the headlight while starter is engaged to reduce load on the battery. find the wiring diagram in the manual this will give the wire colors going to the switches. to me it looks like you might have to find another assembly look on fleebay for one, Honda didn't make these repairable.
MW,
I get what you say mostly, & I have 4 manuals for it, however, my headlight does not even come on before hitting starter button. I have changed out fuse. I will try and check continuity between contacts and other end where plugs in. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

from what I have seen in your post about the symptoms it seems the headlight side of the contacts have gone south as long as the fuse and lamp are OK and no open wires then the switch I had to replace on on my Interstate got it from ebay for about $20

Good Luck Patrick

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I took apart the switch, was very dirty, seems pretty simple, however, cleaned, shaped back to slightly convex versus concave, and the brass piece still does not make good contact at all times. What gives with how sensitive that contact point seems to be... looks so simple.. anyone else taken it apart and scoped it out.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

It seems the brass fatigues with time we have this problem on switches where I work so the brass may not be rigid enought to haol its shape anymore.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Guys.
I put it back together after splicing into the positive and hdlight wires going into button. I ran the spliced wires to an on/off auto type switch and all is well. The button starts the bike, the switch turns on the light. It'll get me by for awhile. :)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I did kind of the same thing but used a 22mm industrial control buttom until I got a different control assembly it kept me riding.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you can get replacement switches for the right side for about $120 on ebay or frenchy at crescentmoon, sadly there is no left sided replacment available

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.