Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My revival of the '79 is almost complete, just have to rig of the auxilliary power for devices that werent invented back then; cigarette lighter for my Garmin and USB charger for phones and such. Add in the newly recovered seat and I will be done!

Anyways, during the services and runnings, I noted that the old school headlight was working, and not too badly, but...

Having put a modern LED light on the DRZ400 dual sport machine, I knew there was room for improvement.

I picked up a nice unit on eBay, $51. Turns out the seller dropped the price after I bought, now $48.44

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LED-Headlight-Fit-Honda-CB650-750-900-GL1000-GL1100-MORE-Lamp-Note-M52/163044296458?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The light is plug and play, unless you want to use the halo and turn signal function. For turn signal function, the white halo light chnges to yellow and blinks evidently. I skipped that. Turns out that effect would be very hard to see!

Like it so far in the shop, cant wait for a night ride to see what it really does!

Old light

New light, low beam

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added power and USB ports to the tool tray.
Cycle Gear items. The cigarette lighter port is intended to be bar mounted, but the bar mount can easily be removed and panel mounted.

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts
That's one bright headlight, it should work very well at night.
And make it more noticeable in the daylight, which is what I need more than night vision since I haven't ridden after dark in a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I get it off the lift and the suspension under my load, I will take a few minutes to aim.
I think that is a lot more than the cagers do when they mount obnoxious lights.

The photo was taken for maximum effect. There is a distinct cut-off line in the beam pattern.

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts
Yup. That's what you want. A way to blind all the traffic around you.
Once I get it off the lift and the suspension under my load, I will take a few minutes to aim.
I think that is a lot more than the cagers do when they mount obnoxious lights.

The photo was taken for maximum effect. There is a distinct cut-off line in the beam pattern.
That's the thing, most people that put in aftermarket lights don't bother to adjust them. Even 6 volt incandescent headlights would blind oncoming traffic if not aimed right.
And Dennis, I want to be seen, I don't care if it bothers someone.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
I was tootin' across a Nevada back road one evening and coming the other way was a GL18. He appeared to have his brights on and it was getting to the point that I couldn't see anything but those lights. I had flicked him a couple times and finally just turned the bright on and left it. He flicked his brights at me! As he went by I figured out what bike is was. He had a passenger and trailer and hadn't compensated apparently. That was with stock halogens.

Anyway, I couldn't see enough to even know my position in the lane. Had there been anything in the road, well...

And not that long ago, in town, a lifted pickup blinded me and I hit a German Shepard. Killed the dog and did some damage to the bike. I don't think it's a good idea to have other drivers blinded by anybody's lights.

I know there are laws, but they're not enforced.

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
It is probably just as dangerous for you to blind other vehicles as it is to risk them not seeing you. Maybe more so as it's multiples instead of one offender.

Decent lighting, well aimed and proper lane positioning should get you home safely.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be sure to take a picture of the clear horizontal cut-off line. The high beam draws the same kind of line, only a bit higher.

I am the first to raise hell at badly aimed aftermarket lights.
I wont be part of that problem.

But I wont wander around with yesteryear's lighting just because others cant be bothered to aim modern lights.

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts
It is probably just as dangerous for you to blind other vehicles as it is to risk them not seeing you. Maybe more so as it's multiples instead of one offender.

Decent lighting, well aimed and proper lane positioning should get you home safely.
I don't ride, or drive at night anymore if I can help it. When I did I had HIDs and had them aimed properly, never once did anyone flash me at night, I did get a couple flashes in daylight. That just let me know they could see me.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,192 Posts
I still love my HID even though I keep having to change out ballasts.

But it is starting to become a 10 minute job.

Still using the same original bulb though!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go LED with something just as good, I'm just not sure right now, that, that headlight would fit in my Hondaline fairing.

Which in spite of West Texas and New Mexico side winds, I will never give up.

·
Administrator
25,565 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go LED with something just as good, I'm just not sure right now, that, that headlight would fit in my Hondaline fairing.

Your Hondaline fairing headlight will take the same headlight as a 1000 standard headlight. A regular 7" round sealed beam will fit both.

·
1,192 Posts
You could, very much be right there Dave, I just looked at the spare Hondaline headlamp that I have and it is not the headlamp that takes the screws, but the framework around it.

Y'know what? I'm gonna work with this on this rebuild and let you know what happens, just don't hold your breath, it could take a while.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It is a standard 7 inch headlight, if your GW fairing has a 7 inch light, it will be plug-and-play.

Still havent quite completed the revival; carbs seem to have taken a turn for the worse. Think I will send them out for professional service.

While I arrange that, I decided to paint! Hand laid/painted ghost-ish stripes in Honda Attack Yellow midcoat over Honda Root Beer {automotive colors}

·
1,192 Posts
I bought one, it's gonna be part of this rebuild, so like I say, don't hold your breath!

Nice paint, sure wish I could do that!

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you sir!

I have a paint/body shop, so the painting isnt a big deal.
Not very often do I get to do hand laid stripe masking though, nice to challenge myself.
Had a little slow time, just enough to knock out a naked 'Wing in short order. Let it dry while out of town over the weekend, quick cut and buff, then into storage while I deal with the carbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts