Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

none of the shops i talked to will even touch my motorcycle i just bought! thousands of dallars in repair. i am really upset because i was told it wasnt a big deal to clean the tank out... cant get to the timing belts because i cant get the radiator off... :?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

without removing it??? that would be sooooo sweet! i got the radiator off and the covers off of the timing belts! they are definately needing replacing...

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Why can't you get the radiator off? You only really need to unbolt the bottom bolts and disconnect the lower radiator hose. that will allow you to swing the bottom of the radaor forward and give you access to the belt covers.

The tank is most likely dirty even thought it may look like rust. Try filling it with water based parts cleaner like Extreme Green and letting it set overnight. use the drain in the bottom to drain it. You mite be surprised how clean it gets.

Steve

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Do you have the manual. That should be your first step. Read up on what you want to do. Then re-read it and do it. Slowly. My 1980 had a rusty tank, and mucked up carbs. I bought the Randakk kit and book for about $200 and did it myself over the course of a few nights. Very slowly. Be methodical. Someone just posted that a dealer wanted $900 to rebuild his carbs. That is quite a bit.
I used electrolysis to derust the tank. That required removing it. As someone else posted there are other ways to do it, and it can be done in the bike. If you can follow instructions and take your time, you can do most of the maintenance and repairs on the bike and save yourself lotsa $$$. You have a good support group here.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

You'd be suprised what 6 gallons of white vinegar and 48 hours can do.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

I posted this on your other thread. Again here for you.

Take a look at this link. It describes how to clean the tank on the bike via electrolysis. Do a search for the term "electrolysis" on this forum and you will get a lot of hits.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/46749.html

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

everyone: thank you for the support! I get a bit frustrated sometimes...
pilot: i got it off, the rubber was like glue (pun intended) and it was just tough getting the hoses off.
drones: i ordered clymers last night, waiting waiting...
smc: i will try that first! seems like try the easiest first and go backward from there is the key! if nothing else i can see how bad it is in there afterwards...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

really wishing the tank was on top right about now for sure! :sad:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Make sure you fill it up with water and baking soda to stop the reaction then drain, rinsex2(or until all the gunk it out. wet vac works best) and dry with a hair dryer. I'd hit it with some WD-40 to prevent flash-over then fill to the rim with fresh gas.

Keep checking this forum as you can't find better referance, help or support anywhere on the web.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

dude, youire ok, you got to the belts didnt ya? that was most likely the roughest part unless the tank actually has to come out and that is just a time thing,

when i got my bike, it had sat for 8 years, the bottom of the tank looked like it would fall through if you touched it, i sprayed a can or 2 of carb cleaner in it, took one of those scotchbrite pads, the green ones like you use in the kitchen and pushed it all around with a screwdriver then vacumed it all out with a shop vac, not the smartest thing i ever done but it worked (i took the sending unit out and used that access to get the job done)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I read link to the "electolysis" cleaning method. Very good info there. Wish I would have known that back in the early '90's, my father-in-laws Wing had sat for 10yrs and I took the tank out and had it boiled out... it did work.. but the electrolysis looks interesting, and like it can be done with things found every day in the garage...
Yes.. the biggest part of that job was removing the tank. It's a '78 and the rear tire, swing-arm/outdrive/drive-shaft had to come off.. it was a big undertaking..but really only in time.. as once I got over the intimidation it wasn't bad.
Thing is.. he let it go again..and I'm sure its rusted today..probably worse then before..
Good luck with your tank and belts.. you'll do fine.. there's alot of good info on this site. :)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
imported post

on my GL1000 I added a small second fuel filter, in-line between the fuel pump & the carbs, for extra protection against the rusty tank & debris that comes out of the 30+ year old decaying fuel pump rubber diaphram...doesn't seem to affect fuel flow at all...good advice for any carbed Wing..

there is a slender, jointed, (flimsy, crappy)specialty tool available for the inner cam cover bolts(10mm), helps a bit with that project..

Good Luck, Carsh

;)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

thanks again guys (and gals?) :) i got the radiator off and changed out the timing belts (thanks to a good friend) set the timing to the 1 and 3... i have a clymers on the way which will help. good thing about this project is that i know it RUNS!!!! lol.
im taking the radiator down to get flushed as there was a buncha crap in there from old water sitting and prolly a good idea to have t pressure tested as well. the 2nd fuel filter seems like a great idea too and will be throwing one on today!!!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome wanic , sounds like your on your way .
Be very sure about your timing for the new belts !
Not sure if the 1000 is an interferance motor but even if not , if timing is out the bike wont run properly and you will be tearing your hair out trying to find out why.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

SMC wrote:
You'd be suprised what 6 gallons of white vinegar and 48 hours can do.
I haven't tried this but if you fill the tank with vinegar, I wounder if putting a small air pump on the fuel line to make bubbles in the tank would help by keeping things agitated.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

sounds like a good thing to try too

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Welcome wanic , sounds like your on your way .
Be very sure about your timing for the new belts !
Not sure if the 1000 is an interferance motor but even if not , if timing is out the bike wont run properly and you will be tearing your hair out trying to find out why.
Yes the 1000 is an interference motor. If the timing belt breaks or is off very far the pistons will collide with the valves. I have seen it happen to a buddy's 75 GL1000 when it was only a couple of years old. Bent the valves on the side that the belt broke.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

ok, so we ended up taking the tank out... (better safe than sorry i guess? now everything is all over my garage! haha. ill post a pic in a second. im glad to have a master mechanic as a friend (who owes me favors too!!!) im learning a lot about how to work on this bike by helping and taking everything apart... took us 40 minutes to get the tank out. it is at the radiator shop (getting boiled and coated for $40!!!!)next door to my buddy's shop, picking it up in about an hour. We are going thru everything else to make sure it will last another 30 plus years!!!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

DGrant wrote:
. It's a '78 and the rear tire, swing-arm/outdrive/drive-shaft had to come off.. it was a big undertaking..but really only in time.. as once I got over the intimidation it wasn't bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.