Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, waiting on the notice that the 76 GL1000 is ready for pickup. The current plan is to fly down and ride it home. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 to 900 miles. Whats a decent estimate of distance I can expect per tank of gas?

I realize each bike will get a different amount, especially depending on how well she is running and how fast I ride. This will be the longest ride I will have made by myself.

Also any advice on what I might want to make sure I take with me for the ride would be appreciated.

:)

Rod

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
No way to really guess at it as so many variables.

I'd say figure around 150 between fuel stops, no sense pushing to hard or to close.
That should be a nice 2-3hr ride between fuel stops depending on things like what type roads you take, speed, etc. You can adjust for longer if you want after the first tank and you know a good guess at the MPG of the bike. Not sure what size tank you'll have, but I would guess around high 30mpg and low 40mpg area, and if a 5gal tank that would be a range of about 175-200 miles maybe?

A long ride is about the same as a short ride, but does not end as soon. LOL

What to take?
Are you planning to take 2 or more days to get home, or ride it in 1 day? Makes some difference what to take.

At least one extra change of clothes more than you think you'll need, this is in case your caught in a nasty rain and need to get out of the wet stuff.
Water proof bag for the clothes if not in side bags or trunk, decent garbage bags work great to keep anything dry if the travel bag is not waterproof.
Bungey cords if you'll be carrying stuff on outside of the bike.

RAIN GEAR just in case. If you take it you probably will not need it, if you don't have any then your sure to need it! LOL
If you don't have real rain gear, if needed heavy duty garbage bags and a roll of duct tape works wonders!

Some drinks like Gatoraide or bottled water can be handy. I often get a free ice water at the gas stations or fast food, drink all I want there and take a full one mostly ICE with me when I leave, but it's still handy to have a couple bottles with me if I want to stop middle of nowhere to relax and look at the view.
I've only seen a couple places that charge anything for Ice Water if you have your own cup, 95% or more it's free. Drink lots of water if hot out, and even if not too hot drink a good bit.

Some snack food to munch on is handy also. May plan to eat in restaurants most the trip, but never know when you might want to just kick back and relax 30 minutes or an hour in some really nice place.

Really depends if you plan to just ride home only stopping when needed or make a nice trip of it over a few days.

It's always handy to have other things just in case, but mostly not needed.
Small pack of most needed tools, 12V air compressor, tire plugs if tubeless wheels/tires or patches if tube type spoke wheels.

Most of all travel light! :ROFL:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I get about 38 mpg around town on my '78. My '78 has a 5 gal tank (I would assume the '76 would be about the same size), so Chromo's estimate of around 150 miles is fairly accurate. In addition to the items Chromo suggested, I never leave home without a small tool kit (one should be with the bike, but you never know). Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, after about 150 miles I am sure I will be ready to stretch. So that sounds like an ideal time for a fuel stop. I do have some decent rain gear and will be sure to take it along. Though it may not be as impressive as a large black trash bag with lots of duck tape!

I will have to check and see if the bike came with a toolkit. If not, I will put one together. I like the thought of a one day ride. But, I know it won't happen. So, I might as well take some time and maybe map out a few places I would like to check out. Isn't that so sad? :sadguy: ;). :ssshh:

As for that picture of traveling lite.... If I was leaving from home on the bike that might be accurate. My wife normally helps pack..... She once fit an entire swing set with a sliding board in our Honda Accord. I don't know how she manages to get all that stuff packed into such small places.... :?

Thanks for the advice! :bow:

Rod

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Back in 1979, I rode down to Florida with my wife on our '76 Wing. Mileage was a concern because of the gas restrictions. Riding two up it was averaging 40-44 mpg. Once it hit 50 mpg, don't know why .Besides what was already mentioned, use sun screen. I don't know what type of seat you have but the seat I had seemed to get flat and very uncomfortable about half way down (450 miles). I would recommend a sheep skin seat cover, because there's only so many ways to shift around on the seat. I still have the stock seat I took off when I put the corbin seat on. If you need a replacement I'll make you a deal.,,

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
He's got two seats in new condition: one stock and the other a double-bucket (Saddleman).
WindJammer III without lowers.
Floorboards if he wants them..
I'm trying to source a original Super Vista-Cruise throttle-lock. They're hard to find nowadays.
He has a nice-sized luggage rack also, but no bags as of yet. I do have a trunk for it though.
I'll be changing the exhaust pictured.
Pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the floorboards cause any issues with the shifter or anything?. I had them on another bike. I liked them, didn't care much for the heel toe shifter though. Had to be careful not to change gears while moving my feet around.

:?

Rod

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it will have bags on it. I will be riding it to work most days. I don't like wearing a backpack with a laptop in it.

Rod

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok, waiting on the notice that the 76 GL1000 is ready for pickup. The current plan is to fly down and ride it home. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 to 900 miles. Whats a decent estimate of distance I can expect per tank of gas?

I realize each bike will get a different amount, especially depending on how well she is running and how fast I ride. This will be the longest ride I will have made by myself.

Also any advice on what I might want to make sure I take with me for the ride would be appreciated.

:)

Rod
Fly where, when? might be cool to have someone ride down and meet you, cruise back with you

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sioux Falls SD. I will be riding from there to a small town about an hour out of Cleveland Ohio. I'm not sure when yet. Steve will be posting updated pictures in this thread on the bike. I am hoping it will be ready soon.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go with the double bucket for the ride home.
I sort of hoped since you are in Ohio and you said"fly down there" you meant you had to go down south to get it. Would have loved to had a good excuse to ride down south and back in a couple days or less.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, Though that sounds like a nice ride.

Steve - Does the bike have the tool kit? I am thinking the Lester wheels and floor boards at this point. I am also made an offer for some Lowers for the fairing. Waiting to see if the guy takes the offer.

Rod

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Tool Kit is good-to-go.
The Lester's are the way to go. I don't see the laced wheels as collectable, but see them as back-ups for any reason needed...

The lowers for the fairing are a good find. You'll want them. Depending on the forecasted weather for your route when ready to ride home would determine whether to use them or not in my opinion. With a beautifully warmed day, those lowers mounted will have you sweating at highway speeds.. They'll keep the rain completely off of you at the cost of additional heat in your face, so it's a trade-off in the Summer months.

I'll try and get some more pics up this evening of what can be added or forgotten for the ride back. I don't know when this evening, ...but this evening.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I am thinking we may go ahead leave the stock headlight on the bike. Just in case I need to pull the fairing for some reason. Also, I purchased the lowers for the fairing for $60.00.

Rod

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, does anyone have any suggestions on what type of bags would be best to use?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I'm late on pics. I'll get some up today once things get sorted and room to work.

Rodd could really use some input on how we're going to set his bike up.
He's got a exciting (and long) ride coming up soon and suggestions from any who've ridden a GL1000 long distance (back-in-the-day or recently) are welcomed.

I'd rather him run a stock rear wheel home than the smaller diameter Lester.
I know what I know. Rod knows what he knows. What do Y'all know?

pics coming this afternoon

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm late on pics. I'll get some up today once things get sorted and room to work.

Rodd could really use some input on how we're going to set his bike up.
He's got a exciting (and long) ride coming up soon and suggestions from any who've ridden a GL1000 long distance (back-in-the-day or recently) are welcomed.

I'd rather him run a stock rear wheel home than the smaller diameter Lester.
I know what I know. Rod knows what he knows. What do Y'all know?

pics coming this afternoon
The lowers have arrived.

Rod

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Those look good.
I'm now able to make room.
...the cans I had mixed to match the existing paint match a '95 GM Bahama Blue with a small amount of iridescent flake added. I have not tried it for color match yet.
The lid-shot is the color it should be. It's still dusty...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
...pics

Attachments

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.