Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I drove into Fallon Nevada tonight, 800 miles from home, my '79 GL1000 suddenly started making noises I have never heard out of her. At first I thought I had a front brake caliper issue (pad fell out, or something). The noise is a clunky, metallic sound, which only appears while driving (sounds like something is loose & banging around). I took off the front calipers & inspected the (new) pads, all is well there...put it on the center stand, started it up, put in gear (1st - 5th)..rear wheel spins fine, rear brake is fine. No noise while the engine is turning the rear wheel with no load. The front wheel spins freely. But when I drive the bike over 10 mph, the horrible noise appears, even with the clutch pulled in & coasting along.
The engine starts, idles & runs fine...doesn't seem to be in the engine block. I've crawled around the underside completely, nothing is loose, missing, or unidentified. I did notice a bit of fresh oil seeping out the drain hole in the timing belt cover bottom..that could only be the crank seal, or camshaft seals weeping..OR could something have broken in the transmission & is flying around in the gearbox at speed? Again, the clutch & shifter work OK, & the tranny sounds fine in all gears when running without a real load, while on the center stand...
Have any of you experienced transmission breaks/failures/noises like I have described here? (this is gonna be a hefty tow bill back to Seattle if my tranny self destructed!:confused:)

·
Registered
991 Posts
When running it on the center stand, put some load on it with the rear brake and maybe that will help you to locate the problem. If you can't get any noise that way, really look to the front wheel. You might also spray some lube into the front bearings and see if that changes anything.

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
a few thoughts ... wheel bearings, drive shaft U-Joint, drive dampers in the rear wheel. those may all be quiet with no "load". Disconnect the speedometer cable at the wheel . Normally that cable might have a squeal problem, but it's something simple to try/eliminate.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm guessing driveshaft U joints also. Place the bike on the center stand, engine off. Rock the rear wheel back and forth. Is there excessive play in the driveline. Do it again with the bike in gear, engine off.

How many miles on the bike?

Worst case, rent a truck to get it home. Might be cheaper than a tow bill.

Good luck!

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
On the 'up side', Fallon's a nice little town.
Be sure about the wheel bearings before you test ride it again.
Not sure about Fallon's hospitals.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any progress?
Sorry for the delay, been driving for 2 days with the wounded bike in the back of a U-Haul truck...
Thanx for your good suggestions all, checked all these things...:cool::cool:
I drove her around a few more times since my first post, & am more befuddled than before...
Sounds like rocks dancing around in a garbage disposal, or a stretched V8 timing chain slapping it's
metal cover violently...I'm afraid there's trouble in Tranny Town...I installed (just before this trip) a heel-toe shifter
which works well. During the trip, she popped out of gear a few times under hard accell, thought it was just
sloppy shifting...I was really pushing her hard & stompin' on that shifter, perhaps a little too hard? Maybe I bent the shift shaft, & dislodged something? I still have to get her out of the rental truck before the diagnosis & saga continues.
And to Dennis, YES, Fallon is a nice little oasis in the Nevada desert ! (and they still let you smoke in the Motel 6)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You'll probably hate what I'm about to suggest.

Riding season is upon us. It might be cheaper to buy a "new to you" bike. Tranny stuff gets expensive fast.
Your bike is a 79 GL1000. A classic but not worth much. It might be time to step up to something newer.

Just a suggestion. Good luck what ever you decide.
Keep us informed.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already convinced myself it's gone to tranny Hell, so I just ordered a 'new' complete motor with all the covers & carbs for $650...cheapest way out of my dilemma, which is I want to keep this bike FOREVER (I've had it for 32 years now, longer than my wife even! It's "grandfathered" into our marriage equation...a new, different bike wouldn't be granted such coveted status!) I've already replaced the motor once, a few years ago when the OE spun a main bearing at 133K, & now I'm retired & nothing to do but dink with my only true love & keep her alive for another trip across America!
:sneaky:

·
1,768 Posts
I've already convinced myself it's gone to tranny Hell, so I just ordered a 'new' complete motor with all the covers & carbs for $650...cheapest way out of my dilemma, which is I want to keep this bike FOREVER (I've had it for 32 years now, longer than my wife even! It's "grandfathered" into our marriage equation...a new, different bike wouldn't be granted such coveted status!) I've already replaced the motor once, a few years ago when the OE spun a main bearing at 133K, & now I'm retired & nothing to do but dink with my only true love & keep her alive for another trip across America!
:sneaky:
please make sure that your problem does not originate from the drive shaft or final drive gear / wheel flange before disassembling the engine.
I know several who have found the fault there, AFTER they had disassembled the engine:oops:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
which works well. During the trip, she popped out of gear a few times under hard accell, thought it was just
sloppy shifting...I was really pushing her hard & stompin' on that shifter, perhaps a little too hard? Maybe I bent the shift shaft
Guarantee you, you have ruined the transmission, which means you buy another bike that runs.

1st and Last, you NEVER, EVER, stomp on a shifter, nor do you push it harder.
Goldwings are NOT dirt bikes, they will NOT put up with miss treatment like that.

3rd, never, ever, use a Heel Toe shifter, those are a mistake, and result in a lot of ruined transmissions.
you must be DELICATE with your feet if you have one of those abominations.

I have one, on a '98SE and hated it from the first mile after I laid the cash down.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
He's already ordered a replacement engine!

He's happy with the bike and wants to keep it going. Can't ask for more than that.

Rayjoe

Reactions: briese

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guarantee you, you have ruined the transmission, which means you buy another bike that runs.

1st and Last, you NEVER, EVER, stomp on a shifter, nor do you push it harder.
Goldwings are NOT dirt bikes, they will NOT put up with miss treatment like that.

3rd, never, ever, use a Heel Toe shifter, those are a mistake, and result in a lot of ruined transmissions.
you must be DELICATE with your feet if you have one of those abominations.

I have one, on a '98SE and hated it from the first mile after I laid the cash down.
Agreed, I will not reuse the heel toe shifter setup...too much torque on the shifter shaft, I'm sure..
But what do you mean, NOT a dirt bike? I often get stuck in sand & gravel & dirt, exploring roads off the beaten path...
Recently got hopelessly lost in the unending forests surrounding Mt. St. Helens, in the pitch black darkness.
Rode for 150 miles, standing on the footpegs, fishtailing through deep gravel logging roads, anus tightly clinched...
don't tell "Goldie" she's not a dirt bike...she'll never admit it!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
🆒 :cool::cool:
yeah Goldie!!!

I remember doing that with one of my older Goldwings, think it was the 94SE, but might have been the '86 or 84

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Check the water pump!! Just pull off the cover the lower hose is attached to. You will need a new o-ring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts