Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
please make sure that your problem does not originate from the drive shaft or final drive gear / wheel flange before disassembling the engine.
I know several who have found the fault there, AFTER they had disassembled the engine:oops:
SMEDEN, you were the closest! Once I got Goldie back home in my garage, just BEFORE engine removal began, I whipped out the mechanic's stethoscope... back on the centerstand, running in all the gears at different speeds I was hearing awful things coming from the swingarm...pulled back the u-joint rubber boot, & shazaam, there's the problem: the snap ring had popped off the end of the driveshaft at the u-joint...allowing the drive shaft to drift unsecured in the swingarm an inch or so, trying to drill it's way out of the swingarm! Found the distorted snap ring lying in the bottom of the u joint boot, repaired & reinstalled it (new spare snap rings are on the way!)..and now the driveshaft, engine & tranny are quiet & happy once again...BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE ! Took her for a test ride, and still is a horrible noise coming from the front wheel (Bearing Failure!). Turns out, the 'spare' front wheel I had recently installed has the wrong speedometer drive hub on it (that part came from eBay from unknown donor bike, looked correct to me, no, it's a few mm thicker than my OE hub). That wrong part threw off the geometry of the axle & new bearings & brake caliper holders...what a mess now! So I reinstalled my OE front wheel with correct axle & speedo hub..ALL IS GOOD NOW!!
The snap ring failure was my fault...I had recently rebuilt the driveshaft with a BRAND NEW U JOINT (Moog #405)...I was so proud of myself for finally achieving this long sought goal that I skimped (reused) the old snap rings...Rookie Mistake! And the front speedo hub mis-match causing bearings to revolt in misalignment...Senior Moment! This cross country trip was doomed from the start..and I've got a 'new' unnecessary spare motor arriving tomorrow (yeah, the wife is thrilled) At least I figured out all this sh*t before I tore Goldie down into much smaller pieces...thanx y'all for your suggestions!
:geek:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!! Thanks for the update. I always wonder what the solution is to some of these problems.

Rayjoe

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I drove into Fallon Nevada tonight, 800 miles from home, my '79 GL1000 suddenly started making noises I have never heard out of her. At first I thought I had a front brake caliper issue (pad fell out, or something). The noise is a clunky, metallic sound, which only appears while driving (sounds like something is loose & banging around). I took off the front calipers & inspected the (new) pads, all is well there...put it on the center stand, started it up, put in gear (1st - 5th)..rear wheel spins fine, rear brake is fine. No noise while the engine is turning the rear wheel with no load. The front wheel spins freely. But when I drive the bike over 10 mph, the horrible noise appears, even with the clutch pulled in & coasting along.
The engine starts, idles & runs fine...doesn't seem to be in the engine block. I've crawled around the underside completely, nothing is loose, missing, or unidentified. I did notice a bit of fresh oil seeping out the drain hole in the timing belt cover bottom..that could only be the crank seal, or camshaft seals weeping..OR could something have broken in the transmission & is flying around in the gearbox at speed? Again, the clutch & shifter work OK, & the tranny sounds fine in all gears when running without a real load, while on the center stand...
Have any of you experienced transmission breaks/failures/noises like I have described here? (this is gonna be a hefty tow bill back to Seattle if my tranny self destructed!:confused:)
Take a look at your speedometer. Unhook the cable and spray the gear assembly with WD,PB,CRC type stuff, get a small screwdriver and turn the speed gear to work the cleaner/lube through the gears. You'll be surprised at the gunk that comes out and how noise it is. If that cures your problem, in a few days unhook the cable and lube with a high quality, noncorrosive (no WD,PB,CRC) such as Triflow or Superlube.
Sounds like your on an adventure you won't forget.
Happy Trails

21 - 23 of 23 Posts