Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

Hope someone out there can give me some help here. I have a 76 GL1000, she runs fine, idles good, starts everytime, here is my problem. Today I was riding home when one of those great North Carolina thunderstorms caught me. I was only two miles from home so I decided to ride it out and get home. Once the bike and I got good and wet, the bike started to stall at low RPMs. As long as I kept it above 2k, it ran fine, did not even notice a miss, but if it dropped below 1500, it would start to miss and stall. (as I found out making a very low speed right turn) I was able to get her started again, and just kept the RPMs up until I got home, dropped into 1st to ride into the garage and she stalled again. I got her in the garage, got her started again and let her run with the cruise control set for about five minutes. It was like sittingin a sauna. Steam was rising from under thefalse tank. Checked the coolant times hoses, no leaks, checked the coolant level, it was fine. Checked the drain holes by the plugs they were clear. I let her sit for about an hour, and went back out and started her up, she started and ran fine. This has happened three times now, twice in the rain, and once while I was hosing her off.

I seem to be getting moisture in her somewhere. (This only happens in hard or steady rain, light rain does not seem to affect it at all)

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Could be some cracks in the plug wires insulation.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

LUV2WING wrote:
Could be some cracks in the plug wires insulation.
Yup, that's what I was thinking...try starting it in a darkened place (not in a closed space), like outside at night, and look around the plug boots and wires for little blue flashes (HV leaking to ground). If you see the flashes, replace the wires, etc. This can also be made worse if the plug gaps are too wide. :waving:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Hey , Try putting some water in a spay bottle and go out in the drive in the dark and spay a bit at a time up and around coils and down to the plugs if its shorting you will see it. and sometimes I have seen people spray w-d 40 on wires to shed off water, like you said heavy rain does not light so If you can shed off water you might be ok. 3m makes a can of brush on silicone sealer for underground wires ,if you see and shorts on wet wires goo them up with sealer and start looking for coils. Good luck

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Just to add, does your ignition points'(contact breakers)cover seal well? The water in the points could make described problems as well.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I will check the wires again, I checked them a while ago and did not see any flashes, but it seems simple enough to check them again.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I will check, seems like a good place to start. Also will check the timing belt cover gaskets. When I changed the timing belts, there was evidence of moisture inside. I thought that I got them sealed, but will check those also.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Checked the plug wires and the points cover last night. I did not see any sparks or flashes, and the points were dry and no evidence of moisture inside. I will keep looking.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I knowthat could be a pain in the ass to locate where the problem comes from. In fact any contact orwirethatis related to the ignition system could make thoseor similar troublesif the water gets inside and shorts it toground or somewhere or causes a bad contact. So check all the contacts, contactors, etc. maybe theengine stop and ignitionswitches as well....

Good luck with detectingit!

P.S. Are you sure that you didn't have any water geting inside the carbs somehow (through the airbox or somewhere else)?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I am leaning towards your theory, because it only stalls at low idle, also the steam that comes with it. I know I need a new gasket between the airbox and the carb, going to check with carb cleaner or something.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Also be sure to check your water drain holes in the heads . These are small holes under the plug wire ends . Pull the wires off the plugs . These holes ,2 per side let water drain out near the exhuast ports . If they clog then the water will fill the plug cavity and short the wires . This is more likely if you dont run the stock plug wire ends and boots.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem last week after putting new (used) motor one of our famous NC thunderstorms when I put motor in I overlooked cleaning drain holes out. Cleaned the holes out and have been caught in storms since and haven't had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I have ask a mechanic the same question after reading your post on here. He said that possibly your plugs may not be sealing real well, nothing noticeable in normal conditions, but when it gets real wet, water could be running down the threads and puddling on the pistons at low rpm. He also threw out the idea that you might have a vacuum leak that isn't noticeable in normal conditions, but allows the water in during a hard rain. Just thought I would throw that out.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks fo the ideas, I will pull the plugs and check them out. I do run the stock plug ends and boots, but I do not think the boots seal very well. If there is surface rust on the plug washers, then I guess that will tell me that water is getting in. I will be using some WD-40 or carb cleaner to check for vacum leaks. Once I check it all out and let you know what I find...

Thanks to all

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I thought that the drain plugs were all clear. However, I cecked them anyway to be sure. The drain hole on the number 1 cylinder was clogged and when I pulled the sparkplug, there was a white (water line) around the base of the plug. Got the drain hole opened again, hope that solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

plskthompson wrote:
I have ask a mechanic the same question after reading your post on here. He said that possibly your plugs may not be sealing real well, nothing noticeable in normal conditions, but when it gets real wet, water could be running down the threads and puddling on the pistons at low rpm.

UMMM not so much . Even if the plug is so loose its about to blow out of the hole . Then you would steady hiss of compression leaking out as well . I mean really, If you have any compression how can the water get in ? Compression would be forcing it out .

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i have t problem on mine take alittle die electric grease and coat the end of your plug wires into your ignition coils just to be safe pull them off and inspect them for cracks or any dings after riding trough one or two rain storms i have to pull mine out and blow the water out of them put the grease in it and no problems now

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

what it is is water is getting around the boots at the spark plugs, nearly all these 1000's do it, also check the drain hole in the head between the spark plugs

very common problem with these "olde-wings"

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Drain hole on number one was plugged. Got it cleared out with a piece of coat hangar and an electric drill. Followed it up with some high pressure air. Clear all the way through now.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

even when cleared this often happens on my 78.... probably using some armour all on the plug boots would help, but shy of that, these are 31 year old parts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.