Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:doh:I have a '75 wing that I have been restoring after a long rest (sat for 10 to 15 years). Now that I have worked through the carb and electrical problems, I can get it started, but she smokes terribly from the left exhaust. There is oil dripping from that pipe also (dripping OUTof the pipe, not off of the pipe) I have checked the valves, and they are seating just fine, and have also done compression checks on all cylinders. There is no more than 5 lbs of pressure difference between any of thecylinders, so broken rings are highly unlikely. Anyone have any ideas where the oil may be coming from? The upside is that, with mosquitoes being bad this year, I'm not havin' and problems with them, downside is that it sure runs rough, and the neighbors keep callin the fire department!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

btexas wrote:
:doh:I have a '75 wing that I have been restoring after a long rest (sat for 10 to 15 years). Now that I have worked through the carb and electrical problems, I can get it started, but she smokes terribly from the left exhaust. There is oil dripping from that pipe also (dripping OUTof the pipe, not off of the pipe) I have checked the valves, and they are seating just fine, and have also done compression checks on all cylinders. There is no more than 5 lbs of pressure difference between any of thecylinders, so broken rings are highly unlikely. Anyone have any ideas where the oil may be coming from? The upside is that, with mosquitoes being bad this year, I'm not havin' and problems with them, downside is that it sure runs rough, and the neighbors keep callin the fire department!
How the sparkplugs look? If the left plugs look much worse than the right it's possible the valve stem seals and/or valve guides may need some attention although the amount of oil you are describing sounds like more than usual from that source.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

Ok this is a good one :baffled:. But need to know a few things first, do the plugs on the left side(one or both) oil foul? In order for oil to be dripping out of the pipe you would have to have a big leak. Valve guide sealscould be completely off and you would not have a large amount of oil entering the exhaust via the valve guides.

So lets think outside the box here. I'm sure you changed the oil before you triedto start it but did you check to see ifit was over filled before?It was probally sitting on it's side stand while it was stored for 10-15 years. Oil will run past the rings over time and if you turned it over by hand first, or ifyou tryed to start it on the sidestandit probally just ended up in the exhaust pipe and is burning off now. this stuff will not burn off quickly. Might try removing the mufflers clean all the oil out of the headers then try running without the mufflers and see how much smoke you have then.

Good luck to a fellow Winger and Texan:weightlifter:

Keith

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Btexas, I think that when it was stored, someone put some oil in each cylinder for storage and like Lone Star mentioned, if it was on the side stand, that oil has a very good chance of ending up in the exhaust. If it is running, just take a ride on it to Belton and back, (at least 10 miles) and it will be cleared up by the time you get back. Do it at night, it won't scare the neighbors. And if anyone ask, tell them your fogging for mosquitos.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

btexas wrote:

How long did she set before you started it??

Did you let it warm up GOOD?

This is a common problem with the gl1000's! Let her warm up & it should clear up! My 76 smokes lightly until warm, unless it's sat for a while(over the winter). Then it REALLY smokes until it's warm! Once she's warm, it's clean..

Part of the problem is design
, & part of the problem is age

If she sat for ten plus years without being started, She's going to SMOKE!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

just the thought of the smell of that wonderful left sided smoke makes me wish I had ridden my '78 wing to work today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.