Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Engine will not run smoothely under 1800 rpm. When below this very lumpy and very quick to stall at junctions.

When it has stalled sometimes the starter will not turn over after finding neutral it will generally turn over, is there a inhibitor to stop the starter engaging whilst in gear or could it be electrical fault?

This one bit worrying, in all gears at about 3500 revs there is a substantial high pitch whining from the engine goes after 4000 revs and stops if you back off the throttle!! No noise coming down in speed only accelerating.

The rev counter seems to be in a slightly different world. Does not move with engine very slow to move when engine off and stopped the rev counter was still on 1000 revs for about a second.

No fan at all.

I know we need to sort out timing belts carb synch clean carbs balance carbs set timing and points, new plugs. Which order is best?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Is this your first Wing? The engine nor running smoothly may be a result of needing new plugs. I would start there, at least pull and check.
The "jet" whine that you heard is pretty normal from what I understand. Others will chime in and confirm that one.
There is a switch to keep it from starting when in gear. Many have disabled that, however, I would at least wait a while for that. It is hard turning over, ck battery with a cheap cell tester after charging.
If you do a forum search you can find a list or 2 of the things and order to do them in. First when changing oil, try Rotella T or Syn oil. Most here will tell you to change bellts on any new find, unless they already have been for sure. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Probably needs the typical carb rebuild.

There are switches to keep it from starting in gear unless the clutch is disengaged.

Old Goldwings make all sorts of whining, whirring, and whooshing sounds. Probably normal. Have someone familiar with old Goldwings have a listen. Timing belts, primary chain, straight cut gears, etc., all make noise. Like Morriscatt said, be sure to change the timing belts.

Lube the tachometer cable and put a little spray lube where the cable goes into the tach. It'll probably work better after some use.

If the fan is mising you'll need to install one.

I would do everything on your maintainance list at once. Add a valve adjust, oil change and filter, air filter, fuel filter to your list.

Q

taffallan wrote:
Engine will not run smoothely under 1800 rpm. When below this very lumpy and very quick to stall at junctions.

When it has stalled sometimes the starter will not turn over after finding neutral it will generally turn over, is there a inhibitor to stop the starter engaging whilst in gear or could it be electrical fault?

This one bit worrying, in all gears at about 3500 revs there is a substantial high pitch whining from the engine goes after 4000 revs and stops if you back off the throttle!! No noise coming down in speed only accelerating.

The rev counter seems to be in a slightly different world. Does not move with engine very slow to move when engine off and stopped the rev counter was still on 1000 revs for about a second.

No fan at all.

I know we need to sort out timing belts carb synch clean carbs balance carbs set timing and points, new plugs. Which order is best?

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

Yep, Mine whines like that. Pretty common in Wings. The gears are squared from what I understand and they whine when the mesh during a load. If it whines al the time the rear bearing in the altnator may be bad.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

It could be your tachometer or its cable making the noise, especially with it behaving the way it is.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.