Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1978 GL1000....twice it happened before, turned key on and no neutral light and no start, not even with clutch in, upright and kick stand up.....eventually it came on and it was able to start (don't know how). Now It wont start at all, been 2 days...it is in neutral and I know cause I can roll it back and forth. Not the battery it is plenty charged and ready to go. When I do go to start the headlight goes dim and that's about it. It runs great when its running! Not sure what to check first, I heard that with the clutch pulled in it should always start..that mean my clutch miniswitch is out? how can i test the neutral light switch and clutch?

thanks for any help!!

Brian
Reno, NV

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

you could just jump the solinoid that would start it. Most times the neutral light won't go out but I think it still will not start in gear. Ive had it happen a cpl times that the nuetral light would not come on and could not start it till I shifted up and down several times to get it on. Now i'm in the habit of putting it into nuetral and the light on before i shut it down
Wilf

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Tighten the battery cables & check that the neg cable on the left rear upper motor mount is clean and tight. The neutral switch is located in the trany cover and has a wire running up the right front frame tube beside the radiator. There should be a single bullet connector unplug it and touch it to ground with the key on. If your nuetral light comes on your switch is bad. If its not the switch it could be a bad connection somewhere. You could also have a battery with a open try a jumper battery but dont hook it up to a running car. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Since the headlight comes on ok the most likely cause of the problem is a fault in the interlocks to the starter solenoid (relay). It could be one or more of these:
1. The neutral switch has failed
2. The clutch switch has failed
3. The blocking diode has failed
4. The starter button has failed

Try unplugging the two wires located on the clutch lever near the pivot. Touch the wires together with a short wire or paper clip. Now try starting. Remember to put the bike in neutral first.

The starter button is actually 2switches operated by the button. One switchsupplies power to the starter solenoid and the other dims the headlight when pushed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Check and double check the kill switch and the contacts on it. I had the same thing happen to me exact same symptoms.. No neutral light and nothing was working, not even push starting. After about an hour and a half. I pushed down on the kill switch while turning it to make sure it was in the RUN position for the third or fourth time. When I did that, it made contact and the neutral light came on and it started no problem. Took it apart and cleaned it all up. No problems since!

Good luck!!:action:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

ziadelsol wrote:
Check and double check the kill switch and the contacts on it. I had the same thing happen to me exact same symptoms.. No neutral light and nothing was working, not even push starting.

With the early model Gold Wings, the kill switch only kills the power to the ignition coils and doesn't affect the starter circuit. On later models, the kill switch disconnects power to the starter circuit too.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Gofastandfalldown wrote:
ziadelsol wrote:
Check and double check the kill switch and the contacts on it. I had the same thing happen to me exact same symptoms.. No neutral light and nothing was working, not even push starting.

With the early model Gold Wings, the kill switch only kills the power to the ignition coils and doesn't affect the starter circuit. On later models, the kill switch disconnects power to the starter circuit too.
Ohhh cool, good information to know. Thanks for pointing that out!!

:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.