Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am needing some help on an issue I am having. I am getting partial spark at times. it was running fine and then it stopped. seems like two mornings in a row it would not start but when I got home in evening it would crank up.
It was converted over to a dyna system when bought the bike.
I have a spare spark plug so I pulled the wires and tested both sides of the motor for spark. I did not got a spark.
I did find interesting facts.
I would crank it and it would not start but when I turned the key to off while cranking I got an explosion like a gun going off. I checked the spark while turning the key in the ignition. when it goes from on to off or on to P there is a spark right between the off and on and on and P. but when on the on position there is no spark.
I bought a new key ignition.
still have same issue.
another thing that happened when looking over the dyna wires that the red power wire was wired into the flasher system. I cut the wire and put it on the power side of the fuse in the panel. Now I had the key still on the on position and found that when I touch it to the power that the spark plug started sparking away. but when I use the button to start it does not start.
not sure if it would be a kill switch or dyna system. I have accell coil and points that I can switch it over to or thinking about getting kill switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Strange what you say about the key switch and the new key switch. Did you replace it with a new switch or a used switch? The kill switch you can disassemble and clean the contacts inside and clean and tighten the wire connections. The key switches can also be taken apart and cleaned, I've done two without breaking anything, I'm batting 1000.

Scott

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Your symptoms sound like a weak battery.
Cranks the engine fine but while doing so the voltage drops to less than the ignition requires to operate.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
And just FYI. The wire going to the flasher is just a switched 12 volts point that Dyna recommends for connecting to power.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a bran new emigo key set for $26 with new keys. so brand spankin new. I did take old one apart and the copper was little darkened and broke a wire so just bought a new one. thought better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New battery and also when battery got low I used a portable jumper box I keep in the side compartment for bad situation when battery goes dead.
Not sure if I mentioned it in the main write up.
When I connected the red power wire from the Dyna points box to the + side of the fuse then the spark plug made all kinds of noise and saw sparks jumping.
so key was in on position, touched the dyna power wire to a power source on the bike and got several sparks. when push the start button on the kill switch . nothing.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Which Dyna? ...the "S"?
Make sure the red power wire is getting its 12V only when the key is on.
I wouldn't concern myself too much with the key on/off thing. I'm thinking it's a coincidence only issue. My '78 does the same thing if I'm fiddlin' with turning the key on and off. The electronic modules are positioned relative to the rotor in such a way that the ignition tries to cycle when the key gets turned on sometimes. Usually after the cylinder tries to fire-off, ..the rotation repositions the rotor and it won't happen until I start fiddling again sometime after running the bike around.

I would look at the electrical connections on the primary side of the ignition.
Red, black and white wires of the Dyna, and the grounding of the plate in the point housing.

My gut feeling is telling me to look closely at those modules; whether the power to them (red wire), the modules individually (black and/or white wires) or the plate grounding.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Dirty tarnished kill switch. The backfire switch, a good place to lose voltage to the coils, another good reason for the coil relay mod.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.