Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my never ending project. I've been working on this a few months now. It is a 78 gl1000. Bought it not running.
It was cranking over before in the off position and on.
Changed the kill switch for a good looking one off flea bay.
Wd40'd the button before i put it on. Cranked over like it should then did the same. Wanted to only spin over in off. Then it started doing nothing when i hit the button.
Went ahead and put new ignition switch on. Fuses are good.
New solenoid. Now nothing sstill. Can jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and it will spin over. I'm using a jump box to test everything, it has 12v. I notice at the yellow/red wire going to solenoid i'm only getting 5-7v when button is depressed. But no click or anything from solenoid.
Doesnt show power coming thru solenoid. I can't find any loose wires anywhere. All plastics , gas tank and fairing are off right now. Help!!!!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you pulled the starter out and apart to clean it?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Will that cause a low voltage, but still be able to jump the solenoid across the treminals and it spin over?

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts
How is the wiring in the headlight housing? Could be corroded connections there. You need to check if it is getting 12v to the start button and out of it when the button is pushed.
No the problem is not in the starter.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Dave, so glad you are still here with your "right on" suggestions.. +1 for what Dave says.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
The kill switch on the 78's only shuts off the ignition. It doesn't connect to the starter motor circuit at all.
If the starter motor is not cranking, you may want to look closely at the clutch switch and neutral switch interlocks. The engine isn't allowed to crank unless the bike is in neutral or the clutch handle is pulled in. Pull the 2 connectors off the bottom of the clutch handle switch and short the wires together with a short wire or paper clip. Then try cranking it again.

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts
With clutch wires jumped still no crank or nothing. Yes no neutral light.

That will have nothing to do with the low voltage to the solenoid anyway. The clutch switch is in the ground side of the circuit.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
There aren't too many things that would stop it from cranking:
-a bad battery connection
-a faulty dogbone fuse ***check this one!
-ignition switch
-starter button
-clutch/neutral switch interlock

When you say you are only getting 5-7 volts at the R/Y wire, do you have the other (negative) voltmeter probe on the bike frame, or on the other starter solenoid terminal?

Have you measured the voltage elsewhere on the bike, such as the accessory terminal? I'm wondering if the low voltage is only in the starter circuit or is it everwhere on the bike?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes i'm getting 12v , say at the acc. Block. Dogbone has been changed to a new style and is good. Checking r/y my ground is to frame. I'v changed the ignition switch. Tried 2 diff. Kill swith start button assbly. Wiring at headlight housing looks okay. Has vetter package , so some splices in
places. I've electric spray cleaned all connections.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
......you are jumpin off a booster pack. probly not enough amperage to spin it good.You need to try with a good battery. ...............trying to start it with a weak battery is hard on your starter to.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, with a new 850 cca batt. And jumper cables it spins slower.
I think starter may need taken off and rebuilt?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ok, with a new 850 cca batt. And jumper cables it spins slower.
I think starter may need taken off and rebuilt?
See post #2.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.