Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the battery takes a charge and i cleaned the terminals but when i turn the key, nothing lights up and can't engage the starter. this didn't surprise me because the PO told me that the ignition switch was bad BUT, before i replace it, i want to try the easy stuff first. the bike only has 19k miles on it so it's not likely the ignition switch and i'd rather not remove the top tripple-tree if i don't have to. any suggestions?

1979 GL1000

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did check the fuses but i'm not sure about the "dogbone fuse". is it separate from the others? what does it look like?

i'm sure that the engine will turn over. what i want to do is try to start it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. i'll check the engine ground and fuses again in a bit.... it's got to be something simple because it only has 19k on it. i don't think it's the solenoid because i don't get any lights at all when i turn the key. if after i get some lights and it still won't start, i'll check that solenoid.

in fact my superglide did this same thing and it was a corroded fuse connection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the solenoid isn't yet getting juice.

ok, i think i found the problem but they rewired some stuff and installed four toggles in the fairing that do SOMETHING. :lash:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the dog-bone fuse holder is missing the fuse. what kind of fuse is it? the electrodes are posts. how many amps is this fuse? i can always install a different fuse holder with a newer type of fuse.... here's a better pic. oh, and i bought a honda CM-400 today for fifty bucks. it only has 13K on it. as allah is my witness, it will run again. lots of shoddy work that needs to be fixed first though and he removed the front brakes! yikes... all missing parts are in a box. should be a fun project. unlike the goldwing, the dash comes to life when i turn the key. i have too many projects....

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.