Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Head Gasket or possible head problem?

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

When I had that issue on my GL1100 it was the head gasket on the right side. The way those heads and head gaskets are set up it is easy to get oil in the water and have absolutely no effect on the compression.

I did not follow the advicefrom this forum and I used aftermarket instead of Genuine Honda head gaskets,so now two years later, I need to replace them again.

Peter

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you are referring to your older wing, there is a chance that you blew an "O" ring in your water pump as well. Easier to fix than a head gasket!
Hatch.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It also could be the oil pump seal gone forcing oil through the water pump.

I don't know the history of the bike but if a previous owner had an oil leak under the water pump he may have plugged the weep hole which would if the oil pump seal where leaking force oil into the coolant.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

78 gl1000. Thanks for the info. I've had it a while and never seemed to run quiet like I thought.Did find the floats were set from wrong place while waiting on parts. thought about the water pump but not the oil pump

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It's not the oil pump, but it could be the water pump. There is a seal in there that is supposed to keep oil and coolant apart. Have you found any coolant in the oil?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
It also could be the oil pump seal gone forcing oil through the water pump.

I don't know the history of the bike but if a previous owner had an oil leak under the water pump he may have plugged the weep hole which would if the oil pump seal where leaking force oil into the coolant.
The weep hole would have to be plugged for antifreeze and oil to mix. If it's only oil in the radiator, and not the other way around, I would suspect a headgasket torn between an oil galley and a water jacket.

Now, is the oil in the radiator, or do you just have a "scum" on the coolant in the reservoir?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

no coolant in oil. drained oil and no mix at all that I can tell. pulled heads thinking it was gasket. No sign of water on valves

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I would have investigated that water pump thoroughly before pullin' these heads brother.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Dang........don't know why it does this.........

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Dancin bear, switch to "Firefox" as your internet browser. Things work better!
Hatch.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

reason for oil in water from pump seal is oil pressure is greater in oil than water so would suspect water pump to oil pump seal before head gaskets because it was stated that no water in oil

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

yea, wish I had gotton on here before I started. Took for granted what I really didn't know I guess. Looks like you guys will make sure I get it right. God blesses people in many different ways.By the time my parts get here, I'll be a wrench bender. We will see. Gonna go wash my new dream while my old dream still sleepin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.