Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well a day from Hell. 1977 gl 1000. Thanks to a forum member I received a needed thermo switch as a gift. I have only had the bike for a few weeks and the bike was hard wired to a fan switch. I want to make it right, but keep the switch.
So while I have the radiator off I decide to replace the thermostat, the radiator cap, the switch and the hoses. Rather than pay Honda Price i followed directions of the forum and purchased the parts at a local Autozone.
Well the hoses are persnickity. the top hose compromised but the bottom hose NO WAY. so I reused the bottom, an ez fix later with a honda part.
OK here is the deal, every one of the old clamps leaked. I just thought I would pass this on. No where in the directions I followed did it say You MUST use new clamps.
So I will advise, USE NEW HOSE CLAMPS. I wasted 3 bottles of antifreeze, made a mess and had to redo the whole project. I think I am done now , just need to keep an eye out for any seep from the hoses. Rand

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I never used new clamps unless they are broke.... Never leaked.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I had a heck of a time when I had my radiator off, on, off, on, off and back on. Kept having leaks from the top radiator hose. I had replaced my original clamps with current screw band types, not the wire with screw and nut that was original.

But wait, there's more. The original clamps (the wire ones) give a much more direct compression than the screw band styles that are currently sold and used. On the top hose, radiator end, it was a bear to get to the screw to tighten it up enough.

Then came the bottom end of the top hose where it enters the thermostat housing. I put it on three times and it leaked, or at least dripped slowly. The last time I had it off, I checked the housing and found that it had a casting ridge that ran the length of the inlet. The hose was not tightening enough to close that small crevice along side the ridge. So, I took out my crocus cloth/emery paper and sanded it down so there was no more ridge. Thus, no more leak!

At least I'm practiced enough I can get the radiator off in about 20 minutes now!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes Sir ,I hear you. I had the radiator on and off or loose 4 times. The 77 has / had solid band clamps. I used some SS Pipe clamps from my Harley. They seem to be holding. A lesson I learned today is , Maybe it is best to stick with Genuine Honda parts. I saved a few bucks on the hoses but cost me three hours labor and stress. I still need a bottom hose and now that I am an expert radiator R&R I will do it 1 more time with Honda hose and clamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.