Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm about to replace the steering stem bearings on my '75 ...does anyone know if there is a way to replace them with rollerbearings , rather than the original loose ones ? Or if I have to use loose ones , any recomendations as to where to get new bearings and races ? Any help greatly appreciated .

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I don't know what you mean by loose ones. You should have tapered needle roller bearings in there, unless the needles fell out? The GL1000 takes the same steering bearings as the CB750, CB900, CB1000, and VF1000.

Or you can fit the All-Balls kit, which I assume has round ball bearings instead of needles.

You can get them here on ebay.

Personally I prefer the needle bearings for steering as they have a much wider contact area.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

You can use tapered roller bearings. A company called " All Balls " can supply you with a steering bearing kit for approx $30. ( thats upper and lower bearings, races and seals.) I buy mine through the local Honda dealer....

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Just put All Balls in my ground up 79 Wing project. Steering stem and wheel bearings. I removed the seals and filled the wheel bearings with grease, the factory grease amount in there looked very thin to me. Good product, trust I will not be doing this job ever again on this bike!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The '75 had the "loose balls" type of bearings. AllBalls will have a kit for it. Their tech support seems to be pretty good. There is one application for the GL1000 that requires machining of the upper bearing retainer (I can't remember what year). AllBalls will do that for you if it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks a lot... removed 37 ball bearings and didn't want to try and replace them ( visions of me on the garage floor trying to find the last one ) . Heard somewhere their was an aftermarket set... Thanks again ...great forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.