Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Reserve lighting unit getting hot and melting plastic cover. Running dual headlights and led taillight. What could be causing this. Can I bypass this unit to test or permanantly? thanks, Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

heating and melting is usually cuase by one of two things... too much power drawn through a unit, or, bad connectors causing resistance... that unit is not meant to run multiple lights

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thank you sooo much. you gave me the idea of shutting down one headlight and seeing if my problem goes away. if that happens is there a fix for the twin headlight issue that you know of. i see wings on the road that look like a christmas tree. my bike is naked with led tail light two headlights. i am pretty sure that the reserve lighting unit acts like a relay for the headlight and does a few other things too. thanks again, glenn

10 pm ran bike with one headlight and same thing. noticed a flicker on headlight when switching low/high switch. sprayed switch and lubed and works better. temp at rear of reserve lighting unit is still 170 F and smells like melting plastic.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Fixed it. You were right. Found 3 wires with bad insulation up by the headlight. Thanks again for your quick response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.