Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday,

I am well under way with the restoration of my 75 Gl100 thanks to a lot of help from members from this site. I have managed to get two spare 75 Wings but as luck would have it none of them have the Resistor for the RLU or the RLU itself. I thought I was missing something off of the inside of the tank and when I checked the book these two things were definately missing. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some people might be able to answer.

1. The ones for sale on Ebay are from 75 and 76 models. Are these still interchangable?
2. Do I need to get anything else to go with them because I am not sure what the switches plug into?
3. Does anyone have a photo of the faux tank set up with these so I can have a look?

Hopefully the photo I attached worked.
Really hoping someone can help me out. Thank you

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Fuel line
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Spoke

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have not heard of this reserve lighting unit. What is this supposed to do?? (

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did a bit of research for you and the part numbers for '75-'77 are the same. I suspected as much, but wanted to be sure.

This interchangeability of parts are of concern to me also as I'm in the process of a restore of a '77 myself.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
They are all the same..and I have one, I think. If intersteed PM me..and then I'll look for it. There is also a work around jumping several wires if the unit fails. It's basically a safety feature for the lighting system.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I cannot get my head around what the resistor and the rlu plug into though. I cannot tell by the schematic. I don't have anything left on the wiring harness for it to plug into. On something I read and int the worksh manual is says the "4 diodes". I only have two ont the bike. Do you think I could be missing something?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The black box just to the right of the regulator is the RLU. The reddish squares toward the bottom are the diodes. There are 4.

If you need more help, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a Christmas present. I have a complete Honda service manual for -75-79 in pdf format and I can easily send you a copy.

[email protected].

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much. I have emailed you my email address. The thing I cannot figure out is where the wire is coming from that has the extra two diodes, the connector for the resistor and the connectors for the rlu. Any idea.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Jump over to Randakk's site. Under gl1000 tech tips there is an explanation of the reserve lighting unit (basically a taillamp warning system) located under headlight issues. He has a nice diagram for bypassing the RLU. Only three jumpers required.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mate. I have read the info on randacks but the problem is I don't have any wiring to bypass it with. I don't have the rlu's and I don't have the connectors that they plug into. That's what is confusing me.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Thanks mate. I have read the info on randacks but the problem is I don't have any wiring to bypass it with. I don't have the rlu's and I don't have the connectors that they plug into. That's what is confusing me.
Most likely because it wasn't required on bikes sold outside U.S. Remember the RLU was incorporated based on the "assumption" it would be required somewhere down the line. I believe it's similar to the 1200 that doesn't require a secondary air system in countries outside the U.S.
You have two relays in your picture. One for the starter interrupt, and one for the brake/taillight. You seem to have everything you need.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So back to my original post. That would explain why none of the three bikes I have got have the rlu's or 4 diodes. So I should not bother to try and set it up with the rlu's and just leave it how it is?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If everything works, leave it alone. Right now it appears stock. If it were mine, I wouldn't "modify" anything.

·
1,819 Posts
As mentioned , it was only on some markets !
- on other markets there were different spec. , - on some for ex. a different rear ligth , and - and .
i am not familiar with your market , but you can check SOME differences in the parts list .
On my Danisn (= European ) , GL1000 , year 1975 , there has never been this reserve system.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I think the early Gold Wings had a set up that allowed the high beam to turn on, at a reduced voltage if the low beam burned out. Not sure how many years got that.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great feedback. At least I can stop searching for the parts and confusing myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.