Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
A little nervous about this thread, I always liked watching threads of people who brought the readers through a whole restoration. Well, I just started one, and I started my thread. I am pretty sure I will finish the bike someday, but I am not so sure will take the time to document it all, but I promise I have all good intentions

So this is where I started, 1975 gl1000. It didn't run when I got it. PO said it had a major oil leak that had to be fixed ( I found it!)

Well here we go:surprise:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after just a few short weeks, this is where I am! I promised myself I wouldn't start any restoration until I got to a bare frame. Only ran into a few strange things. The handlebars don't seem to be stock, Don't the stock ones have a hole in the bottom so you can run wires through them. Mine don't. I spent a lot of time bagging and tagging and taking lots of pictures.

Some engine concerns (one big one). I will talk about it next post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the engine-- this is confusing me, so any opinions are welcome. IF I don't think the engine is worth repairing, I will probably part the bike out and find another. I can't see finding an engine that's worth fixing nearby and I can't imagine buying one sight unseen.

Ok, I checked the compression, 75psi on all cylinders, what! That's just too low and too consistently low. So I checked the cam belt, and it was ok, I adjusted the valve lash, they were all to tight. I fixed it, and the compression went up to 85 psi for all the cylinders. Still to low, and too constant, I am thinking there must be something mechanically wrong, not just a tired engine.

I started tearing down the engine today, and the mystery continues. Took the heads off, found the oil leak. Someone was inside the engine before me. The head gasket on the left side was on inside out. That means it didn't seal the oil passage? On the bottom of the head (the port at the top of the picture below, house shaped passage). The right side head gasket looked original, so whoever was in there was changing a blown head Gasket? I will probably never know

So I put the heads on my bench combustion chamber up and filled them with alcohol. They have been sitting there for hour, no leaks through the valves. I was sure I would find some bent valves, but no

Inspected all the bores, No deep scratches, no ridge at all and I can even see remnants of cross hatching. I measured the bores and they are all 71.9x mm. I think that means the engine has not been bored

So at this point I am thinking my compression gauge is broken. The internals of this engine look really good

So what are your thoughts. Should I spend some money on this engine and bring it to a machine shop to check?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I'm no engine expert, but I wouldn't condemn that engine yet. Those compression readings are low but I think not unreasonable for a cold engine that has been sitting unused for a while. They are all consistent so I think you have a good engine. Someone who knows more about this will be along shortly and give you a more definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Gona follow this thread... Best of luck!! Do us proud!

:smallpopcorn:

Tim

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
I have seen/read of engines that had been lying fallow for a long period of time, and when tested for compression had compression values in the lower ranges like you just posted.

When they were cleaned up properly and put on the road, after some 1,000s of miles the compression readings returned to near or at normal.

I would not give up on that engine, just clean it up, and put it together like Honda intended for it to be.

I feel that it will be just fine.

·
Administrator
25,355 Posts
No, the wiring does not run through the handlebars, they look like the OE bars to me. Don't worry about the engine, it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I said that I didn't trust my compression tester. My 40 year old compression tester didn't have the right adapters to fit in the gold wings spark plugs, so I went to harbor freight and bought a brand new one. That is the one that showed me around 80 psi on the engine

So I decided to test the compression tester. I got my one year old cub cadet ride on ( I love it if anyone is interested) and checked the compression . First with the old tester(it fit my lawn mower). 125psi, ok. Now with the brand new harbor freight unit, 80psi! Tried it a few more times, same results. I guess you get what you pay for!

That's kind of frustrating, now I don't know what the compression of that motor is. But from what I see, it looks really good. So I am going to keep going.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next steps
I am going to keep tearing down the engine, I want to check the engine in detail. I want to bring it to an engine builder in Frederick Maryland (anybody near there used any engine builders?). Have the bore,piston,rings crank bearings measured and fixed up if necessary.

Thoughts? Should I keep tearing it down or clean up the heads and leave well enough alone.

Next thread is a question about cam readings

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cam
I measured all the cam lobe and journals. The results are shown in the table below. Some are just shy of what the clymer book says are the wear limit, but that can easily be within the error of my measurements Can you buy new cams? Buying used ones seems a waste of time, how will you know if they are better or worse than what I already have.

Opinions, search for new cams or just use these

Attachments

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
How did the oil look? slimy or just used?

Based on your findings -if it were my bike = send the heads to the machine shop, new valve springs or whatever is needed there and put it back together...

Once its running, some seafoam in the gas at 2 oz per gallon of fuel, do that thru 4 tanks to scrub the carbs for you. :)

To clean the piston rings and trans gears use seafoam in the oil at 1 oz per qt of oil for 100-200 miles and drain oil out.
Might take a few times of this, so Delo 15-40 DIESEL oil is suggested and only 10 dollars a gallon at walmart

On the electrical you might want to replace a few relays or carry spares.
Enjoy your new toy!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to put a picture of what seems to be a bit of a strange wear pattern. I cannot figure out how to put two pictures in one postage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did the oil look? slimy or just used?
Tom
I think the guy I bought it from had spent some time trying to get it to run before I got it. The oil was fresh, the gas was fresh, new plugs. He gave up because of the massive oil leak ( which was the head gasket).

Interesting, you would leave the bottom end of the engine alone? A lot less possibility to eff things up for sure.

·
Administrator
25,355 Posts
Next steps
I am going to keep tearing down the engine, I want to check the engine in detail. I want to bring it to an engine builder in Frederick Maryland (anybody near there used any engine builders?). Have the bore,piston,rings crank bearings measured and fixed up if necessary.

Thoughts? Should I keep tearing it down or clean up the heads and leave well enough alone.

Next thread is a question about cam readings
Leave it alone. You are not going to be able to find any parts for the bottom end anyway. Chances are real good there is nothing wrong with it. If the rocker pads look good leave the cams alone too.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Total guess: that flipped gasket meant less cooling oil flow to the cams resulting in some heat wear

If the cams are close to max wear limit it makes sense to replace them now- and enjoy the bike for 200,000 miles into the future
The machine shop can give an informed opinion as to replacement or not~

Any idea about why original HG failed and how long since repairs done wrong??
coolant was fresh to you, but could have been in there for a decade before changed, rad clogged? bad water pump?

oh! here is a thought!!
the hose that goes into coolant res bottle- has grommet built onto it so it seals into the bottle = that thing develops a slit-break above the grommet
Result is some coolant gets pushed out every time engine is warmed up, and the air leak means the siphon system cannot return any coolant to rad!!
That lets the rad get low.. without any indication on the `coolant dipstick` in res.
8 dollars gets a new hose from honda
Every water cooled honda atv/bike from the 70s thru at least the 1500s used the same hose!!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Should I keep tearing it down or clean up the heads and leave well enough alone.
Leave well enough alone. You will fix it until you break it.

The engine will be fine.

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,729 Posts
I too agree with the leave the crankcase alone. As Dave mentioned you will not find NOS parts to replace anything in there. I'd put a new set of valve stem seals and make sure the heads are square(flat) . Hopefully you can still get Mother Hondas own OEM head gaskets. DO NOT get gaskets from flebay seller -----cycle(first name is a form of sword).

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
In your picture of the camshaft I see some light scaring of the rear journal.
How does the ID of the journal in the head look?

1 - 20 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.