Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
In my spare time I started working on the shelter. I needed it to help me understand the wiring better. So it was dissasembled, cleaned, and painted. I think it came out very nice.

WHAT IS THAT

But is has a bit of a mystery (See picture). There seems to be a capacitor added to the main power line coming from the ignition switch going to the voltage regulator. There is also a pigtail for a connector that does not seem to have a mate. My guess is it was tap for power to a radio and the capacitor was for noise reduction? My bike used to have a windjammer fairing on it. Did those fairings have an option for a radio. Seems strange that the choice in a power tap was the main power from the ignition vice a tap off a fused circuit.
Question at this time is should I remove it or just leave well enough alone. I just hate to screw up the regulator trying to remove someone elses add on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Another point I have been meaning to make-- Honda used wonderful rubber to build this bike. All the rubber bits are still very flexible and viable with few if any cracks. One of my other projects is a 1981 corvette. Every piece of plastic and rubber on that car, 6 years younger, is cracked and perished and had to be replaced, or needs to be replaced.

I love america, but the japanese sure taught us a lesson in the 70's and 80's about quality and manufacturing -- I disassembled and assembled the entire bike with two wrenches (slight exaggeration). I have taken parts off the corvette that required four wrenches for the same part, one of them metric!

But as American's will -- we have learned those lessons well, the cars and bikes made in america today can kick ass! The new C7 corvette is the best car ever made under $500k

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
My bike used to have a windjammer fairing on it. Did those fairings have an option for a radio. Seems strange that the choice in a power tap was the main power from the ignition vice a tap off a fused circuit.
Question at this time is should I remove it or just leave well enough alone. I just hate to screw up the regulator trying to remove someone elses add on.
There is a radio pod Vetter made called cycle sound that mounted on the fairing at the base of the windshield. I have a couple of them. I would remove the capacitor.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I had a windjammer for my cb750f - with the cycle sound... That thing was amazing... I got a ticket once for being too loud with it.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I put the center shroud in today. I could because I finished the wiring:grin3: Every wire has a partner and a home. I need to do a small repair at the headlight and I am done with the wiring. So I could put the shroud over all it and button up the connectors on the side pod

It's almost time to put the battery in and start checking out all the circuits. That will be a tense moment!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Glad you got the wiring about finished up, but electrical doesn't interest me. I want to see more carb pictures :wink2:
I never messed with my old 1000 much so don't know if it'll work but on my 1100 I routed the throttle cables around the outside of the frame instead of the factory location. It makes for much easier removal/installation of the carbs.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Ok, more carb pictures. Ready to be put back together, and then put back together. Had to take it apart after that pic, The lever that increases the idle when the choke was applied was all wrong. I could not see any way that it accidentally got forced or twisted, so I am assuming that it was disassembled and put back on wrong by the last guy. Otherwise, the carb looks in wonderful condition.

Has anyone done the "off Idle Flat shot" cure that is described on the Randakk web site. It involves soldering some jets and boring new, smaller holes. It is a bit intimidating to me. Would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Time to start working on the setting the floats. They seem like they need to be very precise!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Front brakes are back on!!!!

I tried putting the caliper bracket on the left side and it didn't fit in between the fork and the rotor -- curious. Looked and the wheel installation notes and it clearly states that you need to pull the fork away from the wheel until you get the clearance necessary. Did that, re torqued the wheels, everything is properly aligned. I still have to bleed them, so I will see if I have a good "pedal" at the time.

Just like the back brakes, the front ones look like they were recently rebuilt. The PO was certainly trying to make the bike safe and ride-able with reasonable skills, he just never got there.

The blue tape is a reminder that they need to be bled before it goes for a ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Bottom of the carb is ready. I didn't put the bowls on because I want to check the float height one last time tomorrow when I am fresh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Your sure doing a great job on the classic Wing,it looks like you might be riding it in a few weeks.👍👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Carb is back together. For anyone thinking about it, it was very straight forward and not nearly as intimidating as it looks. I think my corvettes quadrajet was more complicated. Randakk's video is highly recommended. I am highly confident that it will run the way it is supposed to. All that said, it was in great shape. The PO obviously recently rebuilt it and did a nice job. I did not find any "innovation" at all. Everything was exactly as it was supposed to be and ver clean. As I said before, peace of mind!

I polished the caps and the intake runners. All I did with the runners is wire brush the clear coat off and then polish them. They did not come out as good as I hoped. The castings are pretty rough. To get a good finish would take hous of sanding and polishing, and I did not have it in me. Got to leave something to improve over the winter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Back wheel is on. I also bled all the brakes. The front one has more travel than in the handle than I would like. The pedal is firm with no fade, but the distance it moves seems excessive. It does not touch the grip, but only is about 3/8 short. Since I have never ridden a GL1000, i don't now how it is supposed to be. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I have come to the realization that this thing is starting to get really close, Much faster than I thought it would. I was prepared for a year.

I want to start it when my boys come home for thanksgiving. i think that I should be able to do that.

I was thinking about breaking in the rings and I come to riddle. Reading in the web, you should break in the rings by some high rpm passes. My problem is I just rebuilt the whole bike and I do not have the balls to jump on and pull some high speed passes before I'm sure the wheels won't fall off:ROFL:

I need to find someone young with a false sense immortality. Test riders wanted who will sign a release

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I was thinking about breaking in the rings and I come to riddle. Reading in the web, you should break in the rings by some high rpm passes. My problem is I just rebuilt the whole bike and I do not have the balls to jump on and pull some high speed passes before I'm sure the wheels won't fall off:ROFL:

I need to find someone young with a false sense immortality. Test riders who will sign a release
What misinformation can't you find on the Internet?:lash:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Racing bikes on the ring breaking in,not much other way but not on the wing.

·
Administrator
57,647 Posts
Yeah, there sure is...

Like start it up and let it idle until you know everything is okay.
Then just ride it normally like a sane person should.

The rings will seat in just fine... I don't recall not once, not even once, did my brother wrap up his big race car engines on the first start.... he wanted to know that everything is okay first. then he just gave them little short blips to get the tuning correct....

of course, he didn't know what he was doing at all, he just built race engines for the big monied folk who ran against Shirley Muldowny, Gene Show, Big Don, etc....
I remember eating breakfast with Gene Snow at the race track up west of Denver one day. we all had a good time, and then we all went out to the track to blow the wheels off of each other.

My brother won the Winston Winter Nationals in '77, so yeah, he didn't know what he was doing either.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Yeah, there sure is...

Like start it up and let it idle until you know everything is okay.
Then just ride it normally like a sane person should.

The rings will seat in just fine... I don't recall not once, not even once, did my brother wrap up his big race car engines on the first start.... he wanted to know that everything is okay first. then he just gave them little short blips to get the tuning correct....

of course, he didn't know what he was doing at all, he just built race engines for the big monied folk who ran against Shirley Muldowny, Gene Show, Big Don, etc....
I remember eating breakfast with Gene Snow at the race track up west of Denver one day. we all had a good time, and then we all went out to the track to blow the wheels off of each other.

My brother won the Winston Winter Nationals in '77, so yeah, he didn't know what he was doing either.

Ok then. New plan. Start, plug leaks, tune, CAREFULLY, check out all the systems. I like the new plan. I fell off my bike a while ago and I haven't forgotten how fun the ICU was. Don't like plans that take chances on motorcycles.

I am a big NHRA fan. Nothing like a nitro dragster launching off the line. Remember when I was young and got an autograph from Shirley Muldowney at englishtown N.J.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Carb is in. Really starting to look like a classic gold wing again. Getting harder to work on. That carb put up quite a fight going back in, and the throttle cables were a bitch. Everything has to be in the right place now, if it's not it won't fit. Starting to disassemble and moving a hose or a cable a few mm's so the next piece fits in. But it is coming along.

I am thinking about putting the battery in this weekend and start testing all the circuits

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I tried the electrolytic rust removal today. It worked great. Not sure if the pictures do it justice. The chrome came out nice, polishes ut really nice. The badly rusted area turns into a black material. I will polish the chrome and put clear over the black stuff

Made it with a battery charger and a 5 Gallon pail. Added baking soda to the water and placed a steel anode in the water. Everything starts bubbling an fizzing as soon as you connect the charger. Waited about 6 hours, should have let it go longer but I wanted to get the bumper started overnight.

I am cooking the rear fender overnight. It doesn't all fit in the pail, so I have to flip it over and cook it again tomorrow

The last picture is the sacrificial anode after 6 hours. You can see all the new bright red rust I made!

Attachments

181 - 200 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.