Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
HELP

Getting ready to fire the bike up, I decided to check the spark. I have a good spark on plugs 1&2 and none on 3&4.

That is strange. The ignition circuits fire 1&4 or 2&3.. I cant see anything that is shared by 1&2 OR 3&4

Any ideas on what that might be? I can only guess that I have two different issues with 3 and 4 at this time.

I will start plodding through, but any thoughts would be helpful

UPDATE::
The clymer book definitely says that 1&4 on one coil and 2&3 are on the other
The service manual says 1&2 on one coil 3&4 are on the other coil

whats up with that.:surprise: Visual says the service manual is correct. That makes more sense, I have one coil not working.

Rechecking all the wiring......

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts
No, the ignition fires 1&2 and 3&4 together. Do you have points or an electronic ignition?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I don't think I am reading it wrong. Clymers manual page 109 it has 1&4 on one coil and 2&3 on the other. That is just wrong!!

The service manual and visual verify 1&2 on one coil 3&4 on the other. THANK YOU DAVE!!!

Well all that said -- I checked all the wiring, and then pulled the coils -- found two of the wires at the coil were switched. Put them were they belonged, put everything back together. I removed the entire shelter to get to the coils.

turned the lights out, push the button -- FOUR beautiful sparks glowing in the dark -- one step closer to ignition :laugh::grin3:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Clymer sometime give incorrect information.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanksgiving has passed,how about an update on the bike.?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
As promised. We started the bike the day after thanksgiving. I checked all the fluids, primed the carburetors by removing the hose from the fuel pump and pouring gas in it. Got positive oil pressure then hit the go button.

I was sure that there were only two options "it SHOULD run" or " turn it off quick!" But I found out there was a third option

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That looks as all your expert work was worth the wait,sounds good,now for a ride.
Do you have a carb balancing devise?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Man, you stopped the vid short. I was wanting to hear it idle :frown2:
I didn't have time to get it to idle correctly. When the choke was pushed back in it idled at about 2000 rpm. I tried to back off the idle screws with no effect, it seemed like I might have the cables misadjusted so the carbs don't close. I only had about an hour, so instead of fiddling with the carbs, I decided to take it for a ride.

First short ride, brakes work, but not great. Shifted into second with a clunk. No vibration, seemed to turn ok.

Went for a longer ride, got through second to third. The clunkiness seemed to go away from the shifting. The power curve is the smoothest I have felt on any bike. The throttle response was silky smooth, the revs coming up smoothly and powerfully with some throttle input. Really pleased with the way it ran and rode, but I need to get the idle right before I put any miles on it

With luck I should get some time in the next week to work through the idle issues.

I noticed that there was a small oil drip under the bike. It is in the area of the oil filter. I will have to work on that also.

All the guages work, speedometer, tachometer, gas guage, temp guage.

Really pleased with the first shakedown. I will work on the idle and put up another video of the idle and throttle response.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
I think that smoke is because of paint or oil on the hot surfaces.
There was a small amount of smoke out the exhaust that went away in just a minute. No sign of smoke at all from the engine. I will start it again tomorrow just to see if there seems to be any leaking through the valve guides.

The smoke in the front of the bike was from the headers as best I as I could tell. I painted them with VHT header paint. It had stopped by the end of the shakedown,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Don't expect shifting to get smooth,they never shifted without a clunk,my 1500 shifts clunky in the first couple gears.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Worked on the idle a little today. It is beginning to stabilize. Three things

-- letting go of the throttle, the carb returns to idle very slowly. It definitely does not snap shut. Is this a binding in the cable? The spring was definitely forceful when I was rebuilding it.

-- the idle tends to wander a bit. You can see it in the video below. There is no throttle inputs in that video, but the idle goes up then drops down then raises again

-- the idle seems rich, just because my eyes sting and it smells rich. Is this what is causing the idle wandering. Should I just take a quarter turn each the carb mixture screws, rebalance everything

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Drove it some more. What a sweet machine. Still a little issues at idle, but it might just be me getting used to the clutch which seems to engage way out in its throw. So I tend to put to much gas into the engine before the clutch engages.

The idle comes down now, so the bike behaves better when you let go of the throttle. But it still does not shut down as fast as I would like. I will check the cable routing.

The oil leak was just a loose drain plug. I don't see any other leaks so far

The fan turned on when we were syncing the carb. Nice to know that is working the way it's suppose to be.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Adjust the clutch so it catches about just a little over halfway out .

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Which line on the gauge is the main carb outlet? You need to unplug those lines while the motor is running to get the strangler mercury to return back to the fold.
Adjust the screws until it smooths out,the book call out is ball pats setting,

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts
Two things,carb sync,slow to idle is slides not returning fast,carb sync will fix thar,the throttle is returning fine but the slides aren't.
Sorry but no, the slides have nothing to do with the idle.

241 - 260 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.