Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1000 runs weird

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  morram 
#1 ·
imported post

i have a 77 gl1000 it runs like it is getting to much fuel and it cant burn it fast enough.it idols fine most of the time but when im doing a stedy speed it just dont feel right it is hard to explain. when i pull the choke in it smooths out for a second then its back to not running right. if i pull the choke in and out constantly is runs alright and i can only get it up to 93 mph once im at 93 it has a slite surge high and low it keeps going high low high low and so on im guessing maybe the wireing or the coils or something the carb is sparkling clean. just seems like there isnt enough spark to get the job done sorry for the long story any help would be appreciated

#3 ·
imported post

And then your carbs..clean, float level etc.

#4 ·
imported post

It could also be that you have an intermittent air leak. It could be that some of the rubber seals in the carbs is loosing seal. My guess is that you can probably get a temp fix out of running cleaner thru the carbs

but ultimately you are going to need to rebuild them. That should fix the problem long term. New Rubber and reset everything to defaults should do it best.

And if case you don't know, many owners put GL1100 carbs on 1000s because they are a direct replacement and are newer and more stable carb system. So unless you are a stickler for pure stock 1000 parts, upgrade.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Good luck

#7 ·
imported post

What you're describing is probably a fuel supply problem. Not enough fuel getting to all or even one carb. Same symptoms will occur with a vacuum leak. If you pull the plugs I'll bet all or one of them is burning too lean (white instead of tan). If it were an electrical problem the choke shouldn't effect it the way you describe. When you say the carbs are sparkling clean, what do you base this on? Have you had them apart to rebuild or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.