Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Been wanting to do this for a while now.

Using the switch control housing from most any KZ (305's up to 1000's, maybe 1100's?). Uses the Turn signal control housing and the self-cancelling unit. The GL supplies the rest. Note that the main harness connector is also used. Simply cut it from the harness and use the plug as a pigtail to wire the control housing back into the self-cancelling unit and to the GL's harness.

The speed sensor in the KZ's speedometer counts roughly four revolutions per one wheel revolution. I'm not certain as of yet the calibration of the GL's sensor. I finished to the point of this post last night and will calibrate (or is that fall back and punt?) later today.

So far, everything works like it should.

If anyone knows the calibration of the GL's sensor, ...I'd be a less tired Man in the end. I haven't looked for the info yet...

Comments? Suggestions?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I'll get a schematic of it up over the weekend. I've got to draw it up...

Edit: Will be a schem for a '78-'79. Haven't looked at the earlier bikes for it yet.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Slow to get around putting a schematic together, but this is the "sensor" in the Kaw's speedo - a magnetic reed switch that counts a small magnet on a drum inside the speedometer.

Haven't gotten into the GL's speedo yet. I'm thinking it's the same set-up though.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that is a very nice (and unusual) looking bike. But as for self canceling turn signals, I absolutely loath the things on a bike. If they worked like the ones in cars, they would be ok, but they don't. They always seem to cancel to soon, then you have to turn them back on, and they are still flashing after you make the turn, and you have to turn them off. Give me manual turn signals anyday. Neither one of my cars have them, the '64 is to old, and on the '72, the little plastic tab is broken off, and I have no inclination to fix it, even if parts are available. I like to have manual control of everything possible.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Jerry. The Kawasaki system is pretty much fool-proof.

After 4 seconds, the timing unit looks for 120 counts of the speedo switch (or about 50' of travel).

The system can be turned off for manual (normal) operation.

Both the Honda and Kawasaki speedometers are manufactured by Nippon/Seiki so I believe their respective "sensors" are identical but I haven't opened my GL speedo up yetto know.

...if you like manual operation, ..then do nothing. Easy as pie. :)

For me, it's a Goldwing andit should've come equipped with self-cancelling signals already if a lowly KZ something or another had them. The particular control set up above I pulled from my KZ550. The KZ control for the throttle-side has the addition of a headlight on/off switch. I'll probably use it on theGL above to control the fuel pumps electrical circuit. Right now I have it on a toggle.

I'm thankful for Kawasaki's forward thinking. My '78 GL is a happier GL because of it. :smiler:

·
Administrator
26,347 Posts
imported post

That's pretty nice. My 93 Kawasaki does not have self cancelling signals.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Dave. It's such a small thing to have andI feel kinda spoiled with it. I'm gonna do the other control for the extra switch and use it as a shut-off for my fuel pump. I keep the mechanical pump bolted-up just in case for right now. Been using a standard off-the-shelf "Mr. Gasket" 2-4 psi electric pump (minus the sleeve) unregulated and all has worked fine. Those pumps have a bad rep overall but I think I know why, so I'm rolling with it to find out. Couple thousand miles with no problems so far. That "Lights - ON/OFF" switch will get used for the pump so I can eliminate the only visible toggle (fairing mounted). I put it in the fairing so it would be within easy, quick reach in case I ever needed to kill the power to it.

Makes sense for me to use the other Kaw control for it. Right there at my thumb...

'Ya never know. As soon as I say, "I don't need no stinkin' pump switch!" ...I'll catch my bike on fire somehow.

That reed switch in the speedo and the Kaw timing unit could be used for all kinds of control stuff besides the turn signal circuit. Relay it to turn something "ON" instead of "OFF", etc..

I'm keeping it simple so far... :)

·
Administrator
26,347 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
That reed switch in the speedo and the Kaw timing unit could be used for all kinds of control stuff besides the turn signal circuit. Relay it to turn something "ON" instead of "OFF", etc..
I have been thinking of trying to figure out how to use that to turn the driving lights on when the moving and off when at slow speed or stopped. Haven't had time to work on that yet.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Now that's food for thought. On my WJIII I've two holes facing on the bottom inset from my turn signals that I imagine are for two lights, a'la HD RK style. I think they are original holes and not drilled by a PO. I've been thinking of finding the right lights to put on there, ...driving lights. "Auto ON" was a thought I had for 'em, but you've carried it further with the "Auto OFF". A great thought. I'll be thinking on it...

I wish I had a schematicfor the timing unit.

I need to get with the program and get a schem of what I've already done up and posted. Been draggin' my feet lately over a loaded plate.

I'm one-up in that I've a additional "sensor" that goes to my trip computer to work with. It (a cabled housing assy.) goes in-line between my speedo and speedo cable. Right now I'm not certain how it's tech operation works, but being the same vintage as the bike it probably uses the same reed switch/magnet scheme in its housing.

The Kaw set-up can count up, just need to get something counting down... ..

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Hmmmm.... A Hondasaki....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.