Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys;

Still haven't solved the starting problems with my GL1000. It is not cranking over...When I cross the Solenoid electrical connections with a screwdriver it cranks like a winner...does that mean that the solenoid is bad or can that be a symptom of something else? If solenoid where is the best place to purchase a new one?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

test the solenoid. its just a coil, apply 12V directly to it and see if it clicks it should spin the engine. also with a multimeter check the wires coming from the starter button when you press it you should have 12V there.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Another clue...I don't seem to have power at the headlight but the fuse is fine. Does the headlight go off when the starter button is pushed on the GL1000?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

GLJoe,
Yes the starter push button, when pushed is linked to the head light and it should go out while the button is pushed.
If you get 12volts at the selinoid when the button is pushed on the line coming from the button your selinoid is probably bad.
Since your starter spins when you bypass the selinoid you probably have a bad selinoid or the start button signal is not working.
Some have replaced the selinoid with a ford car selinoid or similar that will work, don't have part numbers or anything, sorry.

John kb0ou

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

The solenoid must also have ground to work. It is grounded by the neutral switch or the clutch switch. If you determine it has power when the button is pushed and ground when in neutral or with the clutch lever pulled in then it is the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Commom problem on 1000 and 1100 is the clutch netural switch at the clutch lever pull the two wires leeding to it and use a paper clip as a temp jumper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.