Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,anyone experience a starter that turns like the battery is dead then abruptly takes off and spins so fast the engine starts?I put in a new battery yesterday thinking that was the issue.Not so!

I cleaned all the connections.Just wondering if the starter or the starter solenoid are putting in for early retirement.Does the starter button or engine run switch ever create a bad connection to the starting system

1977 GL1000.I guess 32 years at the same jobare enuff.Thanks in advance.

[suP][/suP]

Flatfour

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,767 Posts
imported post

Check the voltage at the starter terminal. It must be a minimum of 10.5 when you hit the starter button. 11.5 is a lot better but most will be about 11ish or so.

If it is lower than 10.5, check all the cables and the battery for good condition.

IF the voltage is good at the starter, most likely it has a lot of carbon buildup causing the armature to drag. Or it might even have worn bearings allowing the armature to drag.

Or, the brushes might be worn down too much.

Voltage checks first, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

mine does this as well, I guess i thought it was maybe more of some oil or fuel in a cylinder causing it to pressure lock, hence the reason after a turn or two it speeds up. i guess my thinking for this is because if i leave my bike on the center stand it starts up with less drag, but if it has been on side stand it takes a couple of slow turns and then takes off.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks so much for all your input.I will check the voltage going to the starter.I thought i was getting some hydraulic lock in the cylinders.Been ironing out the wrinkles on a bike that sat for half of a decade.Its such a nice bike on the surface.But its needing a fair amount TLC to bring back to its former glory.
Thanks,
Flatfour

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Here is an AWESOME link to rebuild your starter. Also, I have learned to keep my bike in neutral when I park - helps a lot in starting. Fresh oil helps a lot too.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

My starter does the same thing as yours first thing when the oil is thickest. Once the bike has warmed the oil, the engine kicks over a lot quicker.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The starter clean up pictorial is an excellent instructional write up. There is one thing I would caution about. It's really not a good practice to use steel wool on the commutator. The problem with that is it's very difficult to get the small particles of steel wool out of the commutator slots. Since steel wool is magnetic it will tend to stick to some of the steel in the armature. These little particles can migrate to places where you don't want conductive material in the starter motor. Best way to clean up the commutator is to use a 600 grit piece of wet/dry sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Ok, I rebuilt my starter when I did the water pump a few months ago. New brushes, seals and bearings. Not a whole lot of difference. It starts fine, but the sprag clutch still doesn't engage every time. I will probably go to a little lighter weight oil when fall gets here.
When the starter doesn't engage, I just put it in 1st, rock it back and forth a couple of times and it engages fine.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Ok, I rebuilt my starter when I did the water pump a few months ago. New brushes, seals and bearings. Not a whole lot of difference. It starts fine, but the sprag clutch still doesn't engage every time. I will probably go to a little lighter weight oil when fall gets here.
When the starter doesn't engage, I just put it in 1st, rock it back and forth a couple of times and it engages fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.