Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

been in and out of hospital for last few months so have not been able to ride this summer. Got out of hospital other day and went out to start the bike. Battery was good. Hit the starter button and it just started to turn over and then stopped - as though it was hitting something. Only way I could get it to turn over was put it in gear and push the bike some.
Went out today, same thing. Hit the starter button and not quite a thunk, but sort of heard a thunk and it stopped.
Again, I turned off the key, put it in gear and pushed it some. After turning the wheel a few revolutions it cranked right up.
I know in some older vehicles I had, the flywheel could have some teeth missing and you could push the car until the flywheel was engaged, but did not think that was same on GL1000.
Off the top of my head, before I get to involved I will try a new solenoid. Thinking maybe it is just losing the voltage, but does not really explain why I can push it in gear a little bit and it starts.
Is like I need to loosen the engine up? Bad starter?
any ideas appreciated.
(on a side note, killed me I couldn't get to Calhoun)

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like you are having a hydrostatic lock, something liquid in a cylinder. Either gas leaking through a bad needle valve or coolant getting past a bad headgasket.
Before you try to start it again pull the plugs and crank it over to see if anything blows out the plug holes.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

What David said was my first thought as well.

Hope you are feeling better don_berry.:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

sounds like the pinion on the starter is siesed may have to pull same and wd40 it when you rock the bike in first gear it frees up is that correct

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with my bike, I found out that the starter brushes were worn throughout so they were sticking the rotor. Also make absolutely sure that your battery isn't week yet.

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

agnogel - correct.
davogd - I will check that out, though 1st thing I did before I tried starting it was check the oil and it seemed fine (no water) Could be gas in a cylinder, I will check, tho since it makes that clunking sound.........? I will check the cylinders in the morning.

I did forget to mention, once the bike has been started, it does not do it again until it has been sitting over night.

unfortunately I am leaning to agnogel - never had to mess with a starter yet, plus they are pricy

whiskerfish - thanks - i think I have it beat this time, will know soon.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

well, problem has went away, which leads me to believe agnogel was on the right track. I am guessing because it had sat for a bit while I was gone, the pinions were sticking? Using it freed it up?
Could have been the hydro lock also, but changed oil and no gas or anything in it.
Works fine now anyway.
If happens again,will try the wd40.
Thanks for info

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hope you are feeling better Don.... I know having a summer off recupping is no fun, been there, done that, threw away the shirt

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

rcmatt - thanks. Yea, feeling better. Worse part is, after being down and out all summer, I have gotten sooooooooo lazy and it looks like I am 5 months pregnant. Thing now is just trying to get back some energy. Is amazing how doing absolutely nothing for about 4 months can take the drive right out of you :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.